Linear Transformation in terms of Polar Coord.

In summary, the homework statement is that the Linear operator in R2, L(x), is defined by (x1 cos a - x2 sin a, x1 sin a + x2 cos a)^T. It can be expressed in terms of Polar coordinates as (r cos 2a, r sin 2a). The effects of the L.T. can be described geometrically.
aredian

Homework Statement

Let L(x) be the Linear operator in R^2 defined by
L(x) = (x1 cos a - x2 sin a, x1 sin a + x2 cos a)^T

Express x1, x2 & L(x) in terms of Polar coordinates.
Describe geometrically the effects of the L.T.

Homework Equations

Well I know that:
a = tan^-1 (x2 / x1)
r = (x1^2 + x2^2)^1/2

where a is the angle in both cases

The Attempt at a Solution

I know x1 & x2 in terms of polar coordinates is
x1 = r cos a
x2 = r sin a

But I am not sure about L(x)... cos a & sin a stay the same in both coord?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If they stay the same which I guess so... then by the properties of trigonometric functions...
L(x) in polar coord will be
[ (r cos 2a) , (r sin 2a) ] ?

Yeah that looks ok. Now observe what are the differences in the original vector in polar coordinates and the transformed vector. That should help geometrically.

Defennder said:
Yeah that looks ok. Now observe what are the differences in the original vector in polar coordinates and the transformed vector. That should help geometrically.

well... Obiously the a was doubled. But if the polar coordinates are of the form (r, a), How should I graph ( r cos 2a , r sin 2a )?

:S

is it a counter clock wise rotation by a, to whatever the line is?

I really don't think you are supposed to take the angle the same for both x and L. L is a matrix which expresses a rotation by an angle a. If a general point p=(r*cos(t),r*sin(t)) then L(p) will rotate t->t+a, or maybe t->t-a, I'll let you figure out which.

Dick said:
I really don't think you are supposed to take the angle the same for both x and L. L is a matrix which expresses a rotation by an angle a. If a general point p=(r*cos(t),r*sin(t)) then L(p) will rotate t->t+a, or maybe t->t-a, I'll let you figure out which.

In my notes I have L(x)=(r*cos(a+t) , r*sin(a+t)). I though they would be the same so I reduced it to 2*a.

So I can graph a point P as you described it, anywhere and then increase the angle by a to prove my point? No need to figure out where exactly r*cos(a) or r*sin(a) will actually be located?

I don't think so. Just draw a picture that shows a linear transformation that rotates a vector by an angle a.

Dick said:
I don't think so. Just draw a picture that shows a linear transformation that rotates a vector by an angle a.

You guys are the best! Thank you very much!

1. What is a linear transformation in terms of polar coordinates?

A linear transformation in terms of polar coordinates is a mathematical function that maps points in a polar coordinate system to new points in the same coordinate system. It preserves the linearity of the original coordinate system, meaning that straight lines in the original system remain straight lines in the transformed system.

2. How is a linear transformation represented in terms of polar coordinates?

A linear transformation in terms of polar coordinates can be represented by a 2x2 matrix. The first column of the matrix represents the transformation of the x-coordinate, while the second column represents the transformation of the y-coordinate. This matrix can be multiplied by a vector representing a point in polar coordinates to obtain the coordinates of the transformed point.

3. What is the significance of a linear transformation in polar coordinates?

Linear transformations in polar coordinates are useful in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They allow us to easily manipulate and transform objects in polar coordinate systems, making calculations and visualizations simpler and more efficient.

4. How does a linear transformation affect the shape of an object in polar coordinates?

A linear transformation in polar coordinates can stretch, shrink, rotate, or reflect an object. The transformation can also change the orientation or position of the object in the polar coordinate system. However, the overall shape of the object remains the same, as long as the transformation is linear.

5. Can a linear transformation in polar coordinates be undone?

Yes, a linear transformation in polar coordinates can be undone by applying the inverse transformation. The inverse transformation matrix can be obtained by taking the inverse of the original transformation matrix. This will return the object to its original shape and position in the polar coordinate system.