Linear velocity of a rotating body

In summary, we are given a flat rigid body rotating at a rate of 3 rads/sec about an axis in the direction of the vector (i + 2 j + 3 k) and passing through the point (1, 1, 0) on the body. We are asked to find the linear velocity of the point P = (1, 0, 1) on the body, and can use the equation v = w x r to do so. To find r, we draw a line from (1, 0, 1) to the line x= 1+ t, y= 1+ 2t, z= 3t. The plane containing (1, 0
rugapark

Homework Statement

A flat rigid body is rotating with angular velocity 3 rads-1 about an axis in the
direction of the vector (i + 2 j + 3 k) and passing through the point (1, 1, 0) on
the body. Find the linear velocity of the point P = (1, 0, 1) on the body.
(You may use the result v = w x r .)

Homework Equations

v= w x r

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea where to go with this - i need to find r, but not sure how to go about using the coordinates given.

Physics news on Phys.org
A flat rigid body is rotating with angular velocity 3 rads-1
Do you mean 3 rads/sec (often written just "3 s-1") ?

First you need to know the radius of the circle the point is moving in. Draw a line from (1, 0, 1) to the line x= 1+ t, y= 1+ 2t, z= 3t. The plane containing (1, 0, 1) and perpendicular to i+ 2j+ 3k is (x-1)+ 2y+ 3(z-1)= 0. The line passes through that plane at (1+ t- 1)+ 2(1+ 2t)+ 3(3t-1)= 14t- 1= 0 or t= 1/14. x= 1+ 1/14, y= 1+ 2/14, z= 3/14 or (15/14, 16/14, 3/14). The distance from that point to (1, 0, 1) is
[tex]\sqrt{(1- 15/14)^2+ (-16/14)^2+ (1- 3/14)^2}[/tex]
[tex]= \sqrt{1/196+ 256/196+ 121/196}[/tex]
[tex]= 3\sqrt{42}/14[/tex]
and that is the radius of the circle the point is moving in. (Better check my arithmetic- that looks peculiar.) From the radius you can calculate the distance corresponding to 3 radians and so the distance the particle moves in one second.

HallsofIvy said:
First you need to know the radius of the circle the point is moving in. Draw a line from (1, 0, 1) to the line x= 1+ t, y= 1+ 2t, z= 3t.

how did you get the x, y and z to equal those three? and where did the t's come from?

thanks for the help!

1. What is linear velocity of a rotating body?

Linear velocity of a rotating body is the measure of how fast a point on the body is moving in a straight line as it rotates around a central axis. It is usually measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

2. How is linear velocity calculated?

To calculate linear velocity of a rotating body, you need to know the angular velocity (how fast the body is rotating) and the distance from the point to the center of rotation. The formula for linear velocity is linear velocity = angular velocity x radius.

3. What is the relationship between linear and angular velocity?

Linear and angular velocity are directly proportional, meaning that as one increases, the other also increases. This relationship is defined by the formula linear velocity = angular velocity x radius.

4. How does the direction of linear velocity change as a rotating body moves?

The direction of linear velocity changes constantly as a rotating body moves. It is always tangential to the circular path of the rotating body and points in the direction of motion. As the body rotates, the direction of linear velocity changes as the point moves around the circle.

5. What factors affect the linear velocity of a rotating body?

The linear velocity of a rotating body is affected by the angular velocity (how fast it is rotating) and the distance from the point to the center of rotation. A larger angular velocity or a larger radius will result in a higher linear velocity. Other factors that can affect linear velocity include the mass and shape of the body, as well as any external forces acting on it.