Linear velocity of rigid body with vectors

As I said in the edit, I just need to find the vector form of ω. I just don't understand how you are saying to do it. I'm sorry but I really don't.
eximius

Homework Statement

A rigid body is rotating with angular velocity 2 rad/s about an axis in the
direction of the vector (i + j + k) and passing through the point Q = (0, 1, -1) on
the body. Find the linear velocity of the point P = (1, 0, 1) on the body.
(You may use the result v = ω x r .)

Homework Equations

v= ω x r

The Attempt at a Solution

Magnitude of vector joining P and Q = |P-Q| = r

.:. r = √6

v= ω x r
v= 2 x √6
v = 4.8990m/s

I'm assuming I'm completely wrong because the amount of work isn't enough for the amount of marks. I've seen similar questions online and I've noticed that x=1+t, y=1+2t and z=3t have been used in a number of the answers. Are these general rules or have they been derived from the question somehow? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
eximius said:

Homework Statement

A rigid body is rotating with angular velocity 2 rad/s about an axis in the
direction of the vector (i + j + k) and passing through the point Q = (0, 1, -1) on
the body. Find the linear velocity of the point P = (1, 0, 1) on the body.
(You may use the result v = ω x r .)

Homework Equations

v= ω x r

The Attempt at a Solution

Magnitude of vector joining P and Q = |P-Q| = r

.:. r = √6

v= ω x r
v= 2 x √6
v = 4.8990m/s

I'm assuming I'm completely wrong because the amount of work isn't enough for the amount of marks. I've seen similar questions online and I've noticed that x=1+t, y=1+2t and z=3t have been used in a number of the answers. Are these general rules or have they been derived from the question somehow? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You haven't taken into account the vector nature of r and ω.

So P-Q = (1,-1,2) and w = (2,2,2). Therefore v = (6,-2,-4)m/s ?

I understand your reply but it doesn't really tell me what to do.

eximius said:
So P-Q = (1,-1,2) and w = (2,2,2). Therefore v = (6,-2,-4)m/s ?

I understand your reply but it doesn't really tell me what to do.

Well, you did take the cross product of r and what you thought was ω. So, maybe I helped point you in the right direction -- which is all I wanted to do.

By the way: ω ≠ (2,2,2). The magnitude of (2,2,2) is 2√(3) . The magnitude of ω is 2 .

Erm... So what is the answer then? Am I even right in thinking that P-Q is equal to r? How do I get v? Sorry but you're being very cryptic and I just don't get it...

Is it something to do with using P-Q as the normal to the plane and discovering the plane's equation with N.(x-Px) = 0? Or something like that?

eximius said:
Erm... So what is the answer then? Am I even right in thinking that P-Q is equal to r? How do I get v? Sorry but you're being very cryptic and I just don't get it...
Yes P-Q = r .

Cryptic? I did mention that you had a problem with what you had for ω.

What is wrong with ω specifically? It does have the correct direction, but the wrong magnitude.
You multiplied i+j+k by 2 . However, the magnitude of the vector i+j+k is not 1 .​

Ahhh so the magnitude is √3. Therefore ω= 2*√3. So v = 2√3 * √6 = 6√2 = 8.49m/s ?

I'm sorry if I seemed annoyed or something. I was just confused and frustrated.

Edit: I have r in vector form, I need ω in vector form. The magnitude of ω is 2. So I need to get the vector form from this. But how?

Last edited:
eximius said:
Ahhh so the magnitude is √3. Therefore ω= 2*√3. So v = 2√3 * √6 = 6√2 = 8.49m/s ?

I'm sorry if I seemed annoyed or something. I was just confused and frustrated.

Edit: I have r in vector form, I need ω in vector form. The magnitude of ω is 2. So I need to get the vector form from this. But how?
First of all: 2*√3 = √(12) ≠ √6 .

The vector, (2, 2, 2) has a magnitude of 2*√3 , so multiply that by 1/√3 . What will that give you?

The vector (2,2,2) doesn't have magnitude 2*√3, it has a magnitude of √(2^2 + 2^2 + 2^2) = √12, doesn't it? Is the intention to get the unit vector? I really don't understand at all. If you could please just tell me, I'm simply not getting it.

v and r are vectors, ω is a scalar
If P-Q = r, then r=(1,-1,2)
ω = 2rad/s in the direction of (i,j,k)

v=(6,-2,-4) from determinant method.
|v|=√(6^2 + (-2)^2 + (-4)^2) = 2*√14=7.48m/s

Am I even close?

SammyS said:

The vector, (2, 2, 2) has a magnitude of 2*√3 , so multiply that by 1/√3 . What will that give you?
Answer this quoted question.

What is linear velocity of a rigid body?

Linear velocity of a rigid body is the rate of change of its position in a straight line, with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that describes both the magnitude and direction of the body's motion.

How is linear velocity calculated?

Linear velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position of the body by the change in time. Mathematically, it can be represented as v = Δx/Δt, where v is the linear velocity, Δx is the change in position and Δt is the change in time.

What is the difference between linear velocity and speed?

Linear velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. While linear velocity is a vector quantity that includes direction, speed is a scalar quantity that only represents the magnitude of the body's motion.

How is linear velocity affected by the direction of motion?

The direction of motion affects the direction of the linear velocity. If the body moves in a straight line, the direction of its linear velocity will be the same as the direction of motion. If the body changes direction, the direction of its linear velocity will also change accordingly.

How can vectors be used to represent linear velocity?

Vectors can be used to represent linear velocity by using arrows to show the magnitude and direction of the velocity. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the velocity, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction of motion.