Linking a HP50g to a Windows 8 machine

In summary, the speaker recently purchased a 50g calculator and is impressed with its features but is having trouble connecting it to their Windows 8 laptop. They have tried using the included USB driver and running it with compatibility options, but it still does not work. They have found a workaround by using an SD card, but are still looking for a solution to directly manage the calculator from their computer. A potential solution is discussed on an online forum, as it appears that HP does not have Windows 8 drivers for the 50g.
wayveon
So I just grabbed myself a 50g, after taking to the pressure of using TI-84s for years here in the US. Loving the feature set and RPN mode, but I can't figure out how to connect this to my laptop running Win 8.

Conn4x doesn't seem to see it, and Windows tells me that it can find a USB driver, which error's out whenever I try to run it. The USB Driver included on the calculator's CD doesn't seem to run either, always returns "NO permission for driver install". I'm an admin...
Dug into the CD and ran UsbVt.exe and Usb9x.exe directly, using the troubleshoot compatibility options for WinXP and gave them admin priveleges. UsbVt reports "NO permission for driver install" again, Usb9x seems to work...Doesn't show up in Conn4x still...and Windows doesn't recognize what Usb9x seems to install. Blaaah...

I realized lately that I can just use an SD card, and ferry programs around using that as a vessel. Still, not being able to directly manage it from a comp makes me antsy...anyone else have a solution?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Sounds like HP doesn't have Windows 8 drivers for the 50g. However there are a few possible solutions discussed here
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators/USB-drivers-for-HP50g-on-Windows-8-64-bit/td-p/5929665

1. How do I connect my HP50g calculator to my Windows 8 computer?

To connect your HP50g calculator to your Windows 8 computer, you will need to use a USB cable. First, make sure your calculator is turned on. Then, connect one end of the USB cable to your calculator and the other end to an available USB port on your computer. Your computer should recognize the calculator and install any necessary drivers.

2. Can I transfer files between my HP50g and my Windows 8 computer?

Yes, you can transfer files between your HP50g calculator and your Windows 8 computer. Once your calculator is connected to your computer, you can use the file transfer software provided by HP to transfer files back and forth. You can also use third-party software, such as Conn4x or Kermit, for file transfer.

3. How do I install software on my HP50g calculator from my Windows 8 computer?

To install software on your HP50g calculator from your Windows 8 computer, you will need to use the Connectivity Kit software provided by HP. This software allows you to transfer files, including software, from your computer to your calculator. Simply follow the on-screen instructions to install the software on your calculator.

4. Is it possible to use my HP50g calculator as a remote control for my Windows 8 computer?

Yes, it is possible to use your HP50g calculator as a remote control for your Windows 8 computer. You will need to download and install the appropriate software on both your calculator and computer. Some options for this include the Conn4x software or the HP Connectivity Kit software.

5. Can I use my HP50g calculator to perform calculations on my Windows 8 computer?

Yes, you can use your HP50g calculator to perform calculations on your Windows 8 computer. You can use the HP Connectivity Kit software to connect your calculator to your computer and then use the calculator as a virtual calculator on your computer screen. This can be helpful for performing more complex calculations or for creating graphs and charts.