Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linus Pauling's General Chemistry

1. May 15, 2014 #1
    Is anyone able to comment on the crystalline structures in the second chapter? Copper's cubic unit of structure is described as a face-centered cubic arrangement with atoms at coordinates 0,0,0; 0,1/2,1/2; 1/2,0,1/2; 1/2,1/2,0.

The iron cubic unit of structure is described as a body-centered arrangement. There are two atoms in the unit at coordinates 0,0,0 and 1/2, 1/2, 1/2.

Also, what am I supposed to gather from the stereoscopic image? I'm having trouble imagining this spatially even with the diagrams.

Most of the above is a direct quote from p25 in the Dover republication of General Chemistry.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2014 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. May 20, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the response. The difference between the face-centered and body-centered cubic units were troubling me. I referenced my general chemistry text for a more elementary explanation than Pauling's.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted