Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Liouville, the second law and chaos

1. Jan 7, 2017 #1

haushofer

Science Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2017 #2
  4. Jan 7, 2017 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

5. Jan 7, 2017 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

Great notes. But somehow I don't yet grasp the idea of the entropy of the second law being a subjective notion. Is this comparable with renormalization, where physical parameters depend on the energy scale one is looking at?and is Invoking chaos necessary in this coarse-graning picture of Liouville's theorem vs the 2nd law?

6. Jan 7, 2017 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

This is explained even in popular science books, such as
    https://www.amazon.com/Entropy-Demystified-Second-Reduced-Common/dp/9812832254

In short, entropy counts the number of microscopic realizations of a given macroscopic state. But the notion of the "macroscopic" state is very subjective.

Yes, that's a good analogy.

It's usually associated with chaos, but not always. In principle, it is possible to have a second law due to coarse graining without chaos.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  7. Jan 7, 2017 #6

haushofer

Science Advisor

Thanks. Your book recommendation seems curious. I've "The physics of information" by Bais and Farmer in my closet and will read up with this coarse graining.

8. Jan 9, 2017 #7

Demystifier

Science Advisor

My google search does no find such a book. Are you sure about the title and authors?

9. Jan 9, 2017 #8

haushofer

Science Advisor

10. Jan 10, 2017 #9

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Ah, it's a paper. :woot:
    You said that it is in your closet, so I assumed that it is a book. Whenever possible, I like to keep papers as pdf's, not as papers in a literal sense. :biggrin:

Anyway, the paper seems great!

EDIT: Now I have realized that the paper is published as a chapter in the book "Philosophy of Information", which is a book that I already have.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted