1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Liouville's theorem - (probably) easy question

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If f is an entire function and |f(z)|\leq C|z|^(1/2) for all complex numbers z, where C is a positive constant, show that f is constant.

2. Relevant equations

All bounded and entire functions are constant.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm 99% sure this can be easily proven using Liouville's theorem, I'm just having trouble proving that f is bounded above by a constant. What should I do with the |z|^(1/2) term?

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't prove it directly with Liouville's theorem, since f(z) isn't bounded. You could look at how Liouville's theorem is proved and adapt the proof.

4. May 2, 2012 #3
    Would that involve looking at the Cauchy differentiation formula and using the maximum*length principle? Is it because f is entire we know we can use CDF? In other words, do we know there exists a z_0 inside a simple closed curve gamma such that CDF holds because f is entire?

5. May 2, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it would. If |f(z)| is bounded you can use the Cauchy integral formula to show all of the ak for k>0 in the power series expansion are equal to zero. |f(z)|<C|z^(1/2)| is also good enough. Basically the same proof.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  6. May 3, 2012 #5
    Ah, got it! Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook