1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove f is constant - liouville's theorem (?)

1. May 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f=u+iv, where u(z)>v(z) for all z in the complex plane. Show that f is constant on C.

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's my attempt (just a sketch):

Since f is entire, then its components u(z), v(z) are also entire <- is this necessarily true?

Since f is entire, the CR equations hold.

v(z) is bounded for all z, so since v is entire and bounded, by liouville's theorem v is constant. <- kinda shaky on this one, too.

Since CR equations hold, we know v_y = u_x = 0 and -v_x = u_y = 0.

So, f' = u_x - iu_y = 0, so f is constant.

Does this seem okay.. or am I way off base?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2012 #2
    I hate to be this guy.. but does this look okay? I still need help..

4. May 20, 2012 #3
    Don't know if you have Little Picard at your disposal, but that would be the route that I would take.

It is not true that ##u## and ##v## are entire. They are real analytic, though. Liouville doesn't apply.

Even if ##v## were entire, it isn't bounded.

5. May 20, 2012 #4
    No, this doesn't look okay at all. In general, neither the real nor imaginary parts of a holomorphic function are themselves holomorphic. In fact, it's not difficult to show that they cannot be holomorphic unless f is constant (basically, note that both u and v are real-valued, and apply the open mapping theorem).

As for this problem, the way I would go about it is by looking at the function g(z) = 1/(f(z) - i).

6. May 20, 2012 #5
    gopher p: no I can't use Little Picard, unfortunately. I looked it up, though, and it did seem pretty helpful! Thanks for the suggestion!

Citan Uzuki: yeah, that's what I thought.. my method definitely seemed a tad suspicious to me. I don't quite understand how 1/(f(z)-i) would help.. could you please elaborate a little more?

Thank you so much, so far!

7. May 20, 2012 #6
    Or, rather, how'd you get 1/(f(z)-i)?

8. May 20, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If u(z)>v(z) then f(z)=u+iv only has values in half of the complex plane. Sketch the region. i isn't in that region. So |f(z)-i| has a lower bound. Is that enough of a hint?

9. May 20, 2012 #8
    That's perfect. Thank you very much you guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook