1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lipschitz Condition and Differentiability

1. Feb 21, 2009 #1
    Let K>0 and a>0. The function f is said to satisfy the Lipschitz condition if
    |f(x)-f(y)|<= K |x-y|a ..

I am given a problem where I must prove that f is differentiability if a>1.

I know I need to show that limx->c(f(x)-f(c))/ (x-c) exists. I am having quite a hard time. Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2009 #2
    I hope I remember my analysis, but that's usually called Hölder condition. Lipschitz we generally reserve for case when a=1. if a>1, the function is not just differentiable, but constant.

Proving that might be easier.

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have often seen "Lipschitz of order a" for that. I notice that Planet Math gives both:
    http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/HolderContinuous.html [Broken]

MathewSmith2, look at
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow y}\frac{|f(x)- f(y)|}{|x-y|}= \lim_{x\rightarrow y}\frac{K|x-y|^a}{|x-y|}[/tex]

How is that related to the derivative and what happens on the right when a> 1?

Yes, it is true that such a function is constant, but I think proving that involves proving the derivative is 0 which requires first proving that the derivative exists.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Apr 30, 2011 #4
    I'm interested in this, too. The definition of locally Lipschitz is something like this: [itex]f[/itex] is locally Lipschitz at [itex]x_0[/itex] if there exists [itex]M > 0[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] such that

[tex]
    |f(x) - f(x_0)| \leq M|x-y| \quad \text{whenever} \quad |x-x_0| < \epsilon.
    [/tex]

Doesn't differentiability at [itex]x_0[/itex] imply this? I mean, if [itex]f[/itex] isn't locally Lipschitz at [itex]x_0[/itex], it's not differentiable there, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook