1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lipschitz Condition, Uniqueness and Existence of ODE

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a solution of the IVP

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] = t(1-y2)[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and y(0)=0 (*)

other than y(t) = 1. Does this violate the uniqueness part of the Existence/Uniqueness Theorem. Explain.

2. Relevant equations

Initial Value Problem [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]=f(t,y) y(t0)=y0 has a solution if f is continuous on B = [t0,t0 + a] x [y0-b,y0+b]

3. The attempt at a solution

So when I solved * by separation of variables, my solution

y(t)= sin(t2+[itex]\frac{πk}{2}[/itex]) where k = ±1,±2,...

f(t,y) = t(1-y2)[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
    So [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂y}[/itex] = ty(1-y2)[itex]\frac{-1}{2}[/itex]

I want to say that that as long as |y|≤ 1, f(t,y) is continuous and because the set B is closed, there exists a Maximum value M = max(t,y)[itex]\inB[/itex]|[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂y}[/itex]|, this is the Lipschitz condition and f satisfies this condition.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that's not true. The partial derivative is what you say (you mean that last "-1/2" to be an exponent) but that goes to infinity at y= 1 so there is no such maximum value.

f is continuous, and so has a maximum on a closed and bounded set, but [itex]\partial f/\partial y[/itex] is not.

4. Feb 7, 2013 #3
    yes sorry that should be raised to the -1/2. I just saw that. So because ∂f/∂y goes to infinity at y=±1, does this mean that the Lipschitz condition failed and that means and that the existence and uniqueness theorem is violated?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  5. Feb 7, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the Lipschitz condition fails so the existance and uniqueness theorem does NOT APPLY. (I would not say it is "violated". That would imply a situation where the hypotheses are true and the conclusion is false- a counterexample.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook