1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

List of schools based on undergraduate research?

1. Aug 6, 2012 #1
    My school doesn't have any faculty involved in Condensed Matter Experimentation, and that's what I want to get my PhD in, so I'd like to transfer to a school that offers plenty of research opportunity in this field, instead of just having 1 summer of research experience at an external lab (I heard it's very difficult to get a second REU if you've already done one). I'd rather prefer to have 3-4 semesters worth of school research and 1 REU, even if I did have a guarantee for 2 summer REUs at very nice labs.

Is there a list of undergraduate schools that have repute for their undergread research opportunities in Condensed Matter experiments?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2012 #2

eri

I know that Clemson University has a great condensed matter research program and a strong track record of involving undergraduates in their research.

4. Aug 6, 2012 #3
    The downside of Clemson seems to be their limited number of courses...they don't seem to offer any advanced physics courses beyond the typical Physics curriculum such as Quantum Field Theory. I can't find it in their graduate catalog, either.

5. Aug 6, 2012 #4
    You won't be taking those classes as an undergraduate anyways.

6. Aug 6, 2012 #5
    I'd like to, because a lot of other undergraduates are taking them as competitors for grad school.

7. Aug 6, 2012 #6

eri

QFT is not an undergraduate course. Very few undergrads will take any graduate level courses while in college. You're better off spending your time getting research experience.

8. Aug 6, 2012 #7
    Why can't I do both? I really don't want to fall behind the kids doing the same..

9. Aug 7, 2012 #8
    Also, from what I've seen, doing the first REU makes getting a second one easier, not harder.

10. Sep 18, 2012 #9
    Then buy a textbook on QFT.

11. Sep 18, 2012 #10

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

I'm not so sure why you want to rush into taking QFT as an undergrad if you're interested in CME. I understand you think it will make you more "competitive," but you need to think about this in a different way. As a CM experimentalist the amount of QFT you will need to know will not be high, especially not right away. You're much better off mastering the standard undergraduate curriculum (1 year of quantum, 1 year of electrodynamics, 1 year of classical, stat mech, optics) and a few other supplementary course (extra topics like AMO, Condensed Matter, etc) at an upper level undergraduate level. You will also be made immensely more competitive by spending more time doing quality research, not in courses. Keep in mind, in my graduate program QFT is taken by second years, AFTER Sakurai QM, Jackson EM, and a math methods course taught at a pretty high level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook