Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Literature on Black Hole Pair Production (?)

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1
    Does anyone could indicate what is the best literature to learn about black hole pair production? Any textbook explaining the instanton derivation in detail for the case of black holes?

Jan

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2
    What level are you looking for? Do you know quantum field theory?

4. Feb 12, 2009 #3
    Graduate level is fine. I have already learned QFT and GR. I'm reading the early papers like Garfinkle, Dowker and Hawking, but I would be happy to find a more detailed, or maybe more pedagogical, description. Rajaraman's "Solitons and Instantons" does not seem to have any black hole pair production example (although I may have overlooked it, in which case I apologise...). Is there any book which describes in length the whole approach?

5. Feb 12, 2009 #4
    Yes. The book that most people learn from (I think) is by Birrell and Davies, called "Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime" or something. It should go in to some detail about the calculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook