Little bit of convex analysis on a Hilbert space

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
4,796
Reaction score
32
[SOLVED] Little bit of convex analysis on a Hilbert space

Homework Statement


Let H be a Hilbert space over R and f:H-->R a function that is bounded below, convex and lower semi continuous (i.e., f(x) [tex]\leq \liminf_{y\rightarrow x}f(y)[/tex] for all x in H).

(a) For all x in H and lambda>0, show that there exists a unique x_lambda in H such that

[tex]\lambda f(x_{\lambda})+||x-x_{\lambda}||^2=\min_{y\in H}(\lambda f(y)+||x-y||^2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Let {y_n} be a sequence such that [tex]\lambda f(y_{n})+||x-y_{n}||^2\rightarrow \inf_{y\in H}(\lambda f(y)+||x-y||^2)[/tex]. If I could show that {y_n} is Cauchy, then by continuity of the norm and lower semi continuity of f, I could conclude that the limit of {y_n} minimizes [tex]\lambda f(y)+||x-y||^2)[/tex].

But do I have enough information to achieve that?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What other methods are there to show a function attains it's minimum?

I know a continuous function on a compact set attains its min. But this is not useful here.

I know the distance of a point to a closed convex set in a hilbert space is minimized by a point of the convex. But this is not useful here either as far as i can see.

...