1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Little bit of convex analysis on a Hilbert space

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[SOLVED] Little bit of convex analysis on a Hilbert space

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let H be a Hilbert space over R and f:H-->R a function that is bounded below, convex and lower semi continuous (i.e., f(x) [tex]\leq \liminf_{y\rightarrow x}f(y)[/tex] for all x in H).

(a) For all x in H and lambda>0, show that there exists a unique x_lambda in H such that

[tex]\lambda f(x_{\lambda})+||x-x_{\lambda}||^2=\min_{y\in H}(\lambda f(y)+||x-y||^2)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Let {y_n} be a sequence such that [tex]\lambda f(y_{n})+||x-y_{n}||^2\rightarrow \inf_{y\in H}(\lambda f(y)+||x-y||^2)[/tex]. If I could show that {y_n} is Cauchy, then by continuity of the norm and lower semi continuity of f, I could conclude that the limit of {y_n} minimizes [tex]\lambda f(y)+||x-y||^2)[/tex].

But do I have enough information to achieve that?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What other methods are there to show a function attains it's minimum?

I know a continuous function on a compact set attains its min. But this is not useful here.

I know the distance of a point to a closed convex set in a hilbert space is minimized by a point of the convex. But this is not useful here either as far as i can see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?