1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Little question on the potential in a conducting spherical shell

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1
    The question is:

A conducting spherical shell of inner radius b and outer radius c is concentric with a small metal sphere of radius
    a < b. The metal sphere has a positive charge Q. The total charge on the conducting spherical shell is –Q. What is the potential of the metal sphere?

I thought: The potential of the metal sphere is measured when a < r < b and V= Vmetal sphere+ Vinner radius of shell+Vouter radius of shell

1) The metal sphere is to be considered as a point charge, therefore [tex]V_s_p_h_e_r_e= \frac{kQ}{r} [/tex]

2) The inner radius has charge -Q in order to compensate the charge of the metal sphere and if a< r < b then r < the inner radius of the metal sphere (b). Because the rule for a spherical shell is:

[tex] V= \frac{kQ}{r} [/tex] if r > R
    [tex] V=\frac{kQ}{R} [/tex] if r < R

with R the radius of the spherical shell and r the distance from its center

V inner radius of shell= [tex]\frac{kQ}{b} [/tex]

3) The outer radius has charge 0 because a charge of -Q is induced on the inner sphere, a charge of +Q will be found on the outer spherical shell which already was -Q before the electrostatic equilibrium was established. Therefore Q outer radius= 0 and V outer radius=0

Vtotal= [tex]\frac{kQ}{r} + \frac{kQ}{b} = kQ{\frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{b}[/tex]

though my textbook tells me Vtotal= [tex]kQ{\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{b}[/tex]

So who is right and who is wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How can you have an r in your answer? You are asked for the potential at a particular point, r = a.

(1) What's the potential difference between points r = b & r = a?

(2) What's the potential difference between r = b & r = c? (Don't forget it's a conducting shell.)

(3) What's the potential difference between r = c & r = infinity? (The outer surface has zero charge.)
  4. Mar 4, 2006 #3
    Thank you I've figured it out now :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?