Load Distribution of an Arch Bridge

In summary, the speaker has created a spaghetti bridge for their grade 9 science class and is seeking help in understanding how the static vertical load from the center of the bridge will be distributed to the edges. The bridge is made entirely of spaghetti and hot glue and is designed to bear the load primarily on the 'spokes' and the lower beam. The speaker has attached a diagram and is wondering if the lengths and angles are enough to calculate the load distribution. They also mention that the structure may be internally statically indeterminate and suggest using a finite element analysis program to obtain the load distribution. They have also provided a .jpg file for easier access to the diagram.
asaver
Ive made a spaghetti bridge for my grade 9 science class and I was wondering if anyone could help me find out how a static vertical load from the center my spaghetti bridge would be distributed along my structure to the edges. It is made entirely out of spahetti and hot glue and is designed to primarily bear the load on the 'spokes' of the bridge and the lower beam is designed to keep the arch compressed.

Ive a attached a word doc with the diagram on it.
NOTE: 20mm of the bridge sits on each side.

If this is just too hard to figure out i was wondering if anyone could tell me how i would calculate the proportion of the load each of the 9 'spokes' would bear under a vertical load. Is the lengths and the angles enough to calculate these vectors?

Thanks
alex

Attachments

• Bridge Diagram.doc
    29 KB · Views: 341
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you, by any chance, post your attached file in a portable file format, so I could open it? Posting in a nonportable, proprietary file format is not a good idea, if you want everyone to be able to see it.

nvn said:
Could you, by any chance, post your attached file in a portable file format, so I could open it? Posting in a nonportable, proprietary file format is not a good idea, if you want everyone to be able to see it.

Im not to sure if this is what you meant, but I've attached a .jpg file.
thanks

Attachments

• Bridge Diagram.jpg
    Bridge Diagram.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,033
asaver: It currently appears your structure is internally statically indeterminate. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Therefore, it appears the only easy way to obtain the load distribution within your structure is to perform a finite element analysis using a finite element analysis program.

You might (?) be able to model it as, and solve it as, a truss. But I'm currently not sure about that.

What is load distribution in an arch bridge?

Load distribution refers to the way in which weight or force is distributed across an arch bridge. This is important because it affects the structural integrity and stability of the bridge.

How is load distributed in an arch bridge?

In an arch bridge, the load is distributed along the arch and down the supports, known as abutments. The arch itself is designed to transfer the weight of the bridge and any additional loads, such as vehicles or pedestrians, to the abutments.

What factors affect load distribution in an arch bridge?

The shape and size of the arch, the materials used, and the placement of the load all affect the distribution of weight in an arch bridge. Additionally, the weight and distribution of live loads, such as traffic, can also impact the load distribution.

Why is it important to consider load distribution in the design of an arch bridge?

Properly considering load distribution is crucial for ensuring the safety and longevity of an arch bridge. If the load is not distributed evenly, it can cause excessive stress on certain areas of the bridge, leading to potential failure or collapse.

How is load distribution calculated in the design of an arch bridge?

Engineers use mathematical models and simulations to calculate load distribution in the design of an arch bridge. These calculations take into account various factors such as the weight of the bridge, the materials used, and the expected live loads to determine the optimal distribution of weight.