1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Load Distribution of an Arch Bridge

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    Ive made a spaghetti bridge for my grade 9 science class and I was wondering if anyone could help me find out how a static vertical load from the center my spaghetti bridge would be distributed along my structure to the edges. It is made entirely out of spahetti and hot glue and is designed to primarily bear the load on the 'spokes' of the bridge and the lower beam is designed to keep the arch compressed.

Ive a attached a word doc with the diagram on it.
    NOTE: 20mm of the bridge sits on each side.

If this is just too hard to figure out i was wondering if anyone could tell me how i would calculate the proportion of the load each of the 9 'spokes' would bear under a vertical load. Is the lengths and the angles enough to calculate these vectors?

Thanks
    alex

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Could you, by any chance, post your attached file in a portable file format, so I could open it? Posting in a nonportable, proprietary file format is not a good idea, if you want everyone to be able to see it.

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    Im not to sure if this is what you meant, but ive attached a .jpg file.
    thanks

Attached Files:

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

asaver: It currently appears your structure is internally statically indeterminate. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Therefore, it appears the only easy way to obtain the load distribution within your structure is to perform a finite element analysis using a finite element analysis program.

You might (?) be able to model it as, and solve it as, a truss. But I'm currently not sure about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook