How do I represent load distribution of over hanging object

In summary: So the first FBD is not correct. If you are looking at a FBD of the beam, then the shear diagram will be zero at the end because the point load at the end is the same as the reaction force from the floor. But if you are using a distributed load at the end beam, then the shear diagram will be zero at the end because the point load is distributed over the entire length of the beam. It is acceptable to use either point load or distributed load in this case.
enotyphoon
I am trying to make a FBD for equipment which is half out of the beam, I realize I can represent it with a single line of force.

But how if I want to go for distribute load? which one is the correct one. (purposely not drawing reaction force on floor.)

https://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-75c17d5dcf6179df24c60cfe0eb70165?convert_to_webp=true

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming uniformly distributed equipment weight with its cg at the center, your first FBD is ok if you are looking at the beam/equipment system (but with floor reactions required). Note however your text and dimensions don't agree with your figure , if the equipment overhangs half the beam then it's cg should be at the end of the beam (plate). Also note that if your looking at a FBD of the beam, then neither diagram is correct, because the beam just sees the precariously balanced equipment load as a Normal force point load at its free end, not as a distributed load.

PhanthomJay said:
Assuming uniformly distributed equipment weight with its cg at the center, your first FBD is ok if you are looking at the beam/equipment system (but with floor reactions required). Note however your text and dimensions don't agree with your figure , if the equipment overhangs half the beam then it's cg should be at the end of the beam (plate). Also note that if your looking at a FBD of the beam, then neither diagram is correct, because the beam just sees the precariously balanced equipment load as a Normal force point load at its free end, not as a distributed load.

I'm intending to draw shear and moment diagram for the beam, but first I need to get the FBD correct first to be used in Shear and moment diagram. assuming I have drawn reaction force from the floor and reaction force of bolt holding the plate at the floor (Left side).
On the end of beam (Right) should I use point load or distributed load?
If I'm using distributed load at the end beam, my shear diagram for beam will not be zero at the end because plate is finish but not the distributed force,
But if I'm using point load, it is acceptable?

Thank you.

With half the equipment overhanging the beam, the beam just sees a 10 N point load at its end. Remember that the equipment weight is the force of gravity between the equipment and the earth, not the force on the beam. The beam sees the normal contact force from the equipment , which in this case is the point load at the free end as if it was a fulcrum on a see-saw. If the equipment was fully seated on the beam, then the normal force would be a uniformly distributed load like the weight force,of 1N/cm, but this is not the case here.

1. How do I determine the weight of the overhanging object?

The weight of the overhanging object can be determined by using a scale or by calculating the volume and density of the object. If the object is irregularly shaped, it may be necessary to use a formula to calculate the weight.

2. What is the best way to measure the distribution of the load?

The distribution of the load can be measured by using a weight distribution scale or by manually measuring the distance and weight of each point where the object is supported.

3. What factors should be considered when representing load distribution of an overhanging object?

Some factors to consider when representing load distribution include the weight and shape of the object, the strength and stability of the supporting structure, and any external forces that may impact the load distribution.

4. Can load distribution change over time?

Yes, load distribution can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear on the supporting structure, changes in the weight or shape of the object, or changes in the external forces acting on the object.

5. How do I ensure the accuracy of my load distribution representation?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use precise measurements and calculations, consider all relevant factors, and regularly check and update the representation as needed. It may also be helpful to consult with a structural engineer or other experts in the field.