Local Minimum of Potential Function of Spherical Pendulum

In summary: The acceleration due to a potential field can be written asAs I explained in post #2, you can relate the acceleration to the potential. praharmitra gave you the formula up to a factor of the mass of the particle in post #4. The acceleration due to a potential field can be written asThe potential energy is proportional to the potential field strength and the mass of the particle.
ovidiupetre

Homework Statement

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5793/84188411.jpg

Homework Equations

Find a condition on b such that x = 0 is a local minimum of the potential function.

The Attempt at a Solution

To find local minimum, potential function (V) of the system should be written. V must be positive definite and derivative of V must be negative semi definite. I tried to write hundreds of potential functions that provide local minimum constraints but i can't get rid of sin and cos terms from derivative of V so i couldn't find a condition for b to show x = 0 is a local minimum of the potential function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which derivative of V must be negative? Also remember that if you write the equation of motion in terms of the force, you can get a nice expression for the potential.

fzero said:
Which derivative of V must be negative? Also remember that if you write the equation of motion in terms of the force, you can get a nice expression for the potential.

First derivative of course. I couldn't get a nice expression for the potential, my equations are not simplifiable.

The equations of motion are of the form
[tex] \ddot{x} = -\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}[/tex]
From this you can read off V. Now that you have the function V(x), what are the conditions for such a function to have a minimum at x=0 ?

praharmitra said:
The equations of motion are of the form
[tex] \ddot{x} = -\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}[/tex]
From this you can read off V. Now that you have the function V(x), what are the conditions for such a function to have a minimum at x=0 ?

V is a candidate Lyapunov function and it must be positive definite. Moreover, first derivative of V must be negative semi definite in order to x = 0 be local minimum.

The first derivative vanishes at an extremum. The second derivative is used to distinguish between local maxima and minima. You don't need to solve for V explicitly to do this problem, but it's not that hard to do so.

fzero said:
The first derivative vanishes at an extremum. The second derivative is used to distinguish between local maxima and minima. You don't need to solve for V explicitly to do this problem, but it's not that hard to do so.

Problem is not about solving V, the problem is "construction of V". If i construct V, i can find a condition to make x = 0 local minimum by looking negative definiteness of the derivative of V.

ovidiupetre said:
Problem is not about solving V, the problem is "construction of V". If i construct V, i can find a condition to make x = 0 local minimum by looking negative definiteness of the derivative of V.

You're given the first derivative of V. This is enough information to compute the second derivative and find the condition.

fzero said:
You're given the first derivative of V. This is enough information to compute the second derivative and find the condition.

First derivative of potential function is not given. Construction of potential function (V) is the aim or the step that is needed to pass. When you construct potential function, the rest is easy.

ovidiupetre said:
First derivative of potential function is not given. Construction of potential function (V) is the aim or the step that is needed to pass. When you construct potential function, the rest is easy.

As I explained in post #2, you can relate the acceleration to the potential. praharmitra gave you the formula up to a factor of the mass of the particle in post #4.

1. What is a local minimum of potential function of spherical pendulum?

A local minimum of potential function of spherical pendulum refers to a point on the pendulum's path where the potential energy is at its lowest within a small surrounding region. This means that the pendulum is in a stable equilibrium at this point and any small disturbance will not cause it to deviate significantly from its position.

2. How is the local minimum of potential function of spherical pendulum calculated?

The local minimum of potential function of spherical pendulum is calculated by using the equation V = mgh, where V is the potential energy, m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pendulum's center of mass above the reference point.

3. What factors affect the local minimum of potential function of spherical pendulum?

The local minimum of potential function of spherical pendulum is affected by the mass of the pendulum, the length of the pendulum, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. These factors determine the potential energy at each point and thus affect the location of the local minimum.

4. How does the local minimum of potential function of spherical pendulum relate to its motion?

The local minimum of potential function of spherical pendulum is a point of stable equilibrium, meaning that the pendulum will oscillate around this point with a small amplitude. As the pendulum swings back and forth, the potential energy will vary, with the lowest point being the local minimum.

5. Can the local minimum of potential function of spherical pendulum change over time?

Yes, the local minimum of potential function of spherical pendulum can change over time. This can occur if the factors that affect it, such as the length or mass of the pendulum, are altered. Changes in these factors can result in a shift in the location of the local minimum and thus affect the pendulum's motion.