Distance between atoms - Minimum energy

In summary: You also have the uncertainty principle, which gives you an estimate for the minimum energy. In summary, to calculate the distance between two atoms in a molecule and its minimum possible energy, you can use the uncertainty principle and approximate the potential around the minimum by a parabola. The minimum energy can be estimated using the energy levels around the minimum. It is also possible to use the potential given in (c) to estimate the minimum energy and distance, but it may be more complicated.
mgal95

Homework Statement

The effective potential between two atoms of same mass [itex] m[/itex] is:
[tex] V(x)=-a\frac{1}{x}+b\frac{1}{x^2} [/tex]
where [itex] a,b>0 [/itex] and [itex] x[/itex] is the distance between them.
(a) Calculate (order of magnitude) the distance between the two atoms in the molecule and its minimum possible energy.
(b) Compare the minimum energy with the minimum potential energy. Could we have [itex] a=0[/itex] and [itex]b<0[/itex]?
(c) Can a molecule with [tex] V(x)=-\frac{|b|}{x^{2n}} , 1\leq n[/tex] exist?

Homework Equations

This is a problem given in the finals of a third year Quantum Mechanics class at my University. I suppose that all is needed are the uncertainty inequalities, since I do not even know if the corresponding Schroedinger Equation has an analytic solution (let alone find it).

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not even know where to start from. Some ideas:
[tex] \left< E\right>=\left< H\right>=\frac{\left<p_1^2 \right>}{2m} + \frac{\left<p_2^2 \right>}{2m} +\left< V\right>[/tex]
[tex] \Delta p\Delta x\geq \hbar/2[/tex]
[tex]\left(\Delta p\right)^2=\left< p^2\right>-\left< p\right>^2[/tex]
Thus:
[tex]\left<p^2 \right>\geq \left(\Delta p\right)^2\geq \frac{\hbar}{2\left(\Delta x\right)^2}[/tex]
and then
[tex] \left< E\right>\geq \frac{\hbar}{\left(\Delta x\right)^2} -a\left< \frac{1}{x}\right>+b\left<\frac{1}{x^2} \right>[/tex]
My idea now is to form the right part of the last inequality in a function [itex] f=f(\Delta x)[/itex]. Then I can find the minimum of this function equating the derivative with zero. Then the equality would give me the minimum energy. The value of [itex] \Delta x[/itex] that I will get will be in the order of magnitude of the distance between the atoms. Since nature prefers minimum energy states, the minimum energy would be the ground state and thus I can assume [itex] \Delta x\simeq x [/itex] The problem is that I cannot form such a function for this potential. On the other hand, I can do this for the potential given in (c), since [itex] -b\left< x^{-2n}\right> \geq -b\left(\Delta x\right)^{-2n} [/itex] (proven using the definition of the uncertainty).
Another idea for the distance is to calculate [itex] \left< x\right>[/itex], but I do not have a clue how to do that.

Please excuse my English
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are overthinking this. To get an order of magnitude estimate, you can approximate the potential around the minimum by a parabola, and you should know how the energy levels look there.

1. What is the significance of the distance between atoms in terms of minimum energy?

The distance between atoms is an important factor in determining the minimum energy state of a system. Atoms are held together by chemical bonds, and the distance between them affects the strength of these bonds. In a system with multiple atoms, the distance between them will determine how tightly they are held together and how much energy is required to break these bonds.

2. How is the minimum energy distance between atoms calculated?

The minimum energy distance between atoms is calculated by finding the equilibrium distance between them, which is the distance at which the attractive and repulsive forces between the atoms are equal. This can be determined through various methods, such as theoretical models or experimental measurements.

3. What factors can influence the minimum energy distance between atoms?

The minimum energy distance between atoms can be influenced by several factors, including the types of atoms involved, the strength of their bonds, and the surrounding environment. Temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules can also affect the minimum energy distance between atoms.

4. How does the distance between atoms affect the properties of a material?

The distance between atoms can greatly impact the properties of a material. For example, a shorter distance between atoms can result in a stronger and more rigid material, while a longer distance can lead to a more flexible and pliable material. Additionally, changes in the distance between atoms can affect properties such as density, melting point, and conductivity.

5. Is there a minimum energy distance between atoms for all types of chemical bonds?

Yes, there is a minimum energy distance for all types of chemical bonds. However, the exact distance may vary depending on the types of atoms involved and the strength of their bonds. For example, covalent bonds tend to have shorter minimum energy distances compared to ionic bonds. Additionally, the minimum energy distance for a particular bond can change depending on the surrounding environment and external factors.