Locally inertial reference frame problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that the Christoffel symbols vanish at the origin of the given coordinates ##y^{\alpha}##. The solution involves using the chain rule and a Taylor polynomial to find the unknown matrix ##A^\alpha_{\mu \beta}##, which is identified as ##\Gamma^\alpha_{\mu \beta}##. It is also mentioned that there is a simpler way of proving this by considering the geodesic equations in ##x## and showing that they imply ##\ddot y^\mu = 0## at ##x_0##. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of understanding the chain rule and identifying the linear term in the Taylor expansion.
Pencilvester
Hey PF, I am working on a problem set, and one of the problems is proving that the Christoffel symbols vanish at the origin of the coordinates ##y^{\alpha}## given by the coordinate transformation: $$y^\alpha (x) = x^\alpha - x^\alpha_{(0)} + \frac {1} {2} (x^\mu - x^\mu_{(0)} )(x^\nu - x^\nu_{(0)} ) \Gamma^\alpha_{(0) \mu \nu}$$ Where anything with a ##(0)## subscript is evaluated at some particular point.
Figuring out that ##\frac {\partial y^{\alpha}} {\partial x^{\mu}} = \delta^{\alpha}_{\mu} + (x^{\lambda} - x^{\lambda}_{(0)}) \Gamma^{\alpha}_{(0) \mu \lambda}## and that ##\frac {\partial^2 y^{\alpha}} {\partial x^\mu \partial x^\nu} = \Gamma^{\alpha}_{(0) \mu \nu}## was fairly straightforward, and I also know the transformation law for the Christoffel symbols, but I can't figure out how to find the inverse of the Jacobian—the ##\frac {\partial x^\alpha} {\partial y^\mu}##’s. Here’s part of the solution (they use squiggles instead of ##y##):
4F71611A-04D6-4EFA-AE3B-5B7A40C56F94.jpeg

They’re clearly using a Taylor polynomial, but I don’t understand how to find that the unknown matrix ##A^\alpha_{\mu \beta}## ends up being ##\Gamma^\alpha_{\mu \beta}##. I feel like I must be missing something super obvious. Would someone be so kind as to point out what I’m missing?

Attachments

• 4F71611A-04D6-4EFA-AE3B-5B7A40C56F94.jpeg
    4F71611A-04D6-4EFA-AE3B-5B7A40C56F94.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
The chain rule.
$$
\newcommand{\dd}[2]{\frac{\partial #1}{\partial #2}}
\dd{x^\alpha}{y^\beta} \dd{y^\beta}{x^\gamma} = \dd{x^\alpha}{x^\gamma} = \delta^\alpha_\gamma.
$$
Insert the Taylor expansion into the above expression along with the coordinate transformation and identify ##A## from the linear term in ##x - x_0##.

Likes Pencilvester
It should be noted that there is a significantly easier way of showing this. Just consider the geodesic equations in ##x## and show that they imply ##\ddot y^\mu = 0## at ##x_0##.

Likes Pencilvester
Orodruin said:
The chain rule.
Oh, duh. Yup, that would be the obvious thing I was missing.

Orodruin said:
It should be noted that there is a significantly easier way of showing this. Just consider the geodesic equations in ##x## and show that they imply ##\ddot y^\mu = 0## at ##x_0##.
That definitely is much simpler and straightforward. Thanks!

Pencilvester said:
Yup, that would be the obvious thing I was missing.
Sometimes you need to be pointed to the trees in the forest... :wink:

Likes Pencilvester

What is a locally inertial reference frame problem?

A locally inertial reference frame problem refers to a situation in which an object's motion is described differently depending on the reference frame used. This problem arises when the object is in an accelerating or rotating reference frame, as opposed to a non-accelerating reference frame.

Why is the locally inertial reference frame problem important in science?

The locally inertial reference frame problem is important because it can affect the accuracy and validity of scientific experiments and observations. In order to accurately describe and understand the behavior of objects, it is crucial to account for the effects of reference frames.

How is the locally inertial reference frame problem resolved?

The locally inertial reference frame problem is resolved by using the principles of relativity, which state that the laws of physics should be the same in all inertial reference frames. This means that equations and measurements must be adjusted to account for the effects of acceleration or rotation in a reference frame.

What are some examples of the locally inertial reference frame problem?

One example of the locally inertial reference frame problem is the Coriolis effect, which describes the apparent deflection of moving objects on the surface of a rotating planet. Another example is the behavior of objects in an accelerating vehicle, such as a car or airplane, where the laws of motion may appear differently to an observer inside the vehicle compared to an observer outside of it.

How does the locally inertial reference frame problem relate to general relativity?

The locally inertial reference frame problem is an important concept in general relativity, which is a theory of gravitation that explains the effects of acceleration and gravity on the behavior of objects. In general relativity, the concept of a locally inertial reference frame is used to describe the behavior of objects in the presence of a gravitational field.