Locating Obsolete Component Replacements

• Thread starter branbailey9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, it is difficult to find replacement components for obsolete designs. However, various suppliers may have what you need.
branbailey9
I have been re-designing some older products at work to address obsolescence issues. Does anybody know a good resource for locating replacements for obsolete components. The ideal solution would be to find components that would not require any PCB rework, but finding drop in replacements is proving to be difficult. I appreciate any input.

Engineering news on Phys.org
branbailey9 said:
I have been re-designing some older products at work to address obsolescence issues. Does anybody know a good resource for locating replacements for obsolete components. The ideal solution would be to find components that would not require any PCB rework, but finding drop in replacements is proving to be difficult. I appreciate any input.

Yes, this is something that many of us have to deal with.

It depends on the component. What types of components are you needing to replace? ICs, semiconductors, memory chips, etc?

I am replacing every kind of component but I am having the most trouble with ICs. Since some of these designs are from the 1970s everything is thru hole and almost every potential replacement I find is SMT.

Last edited:
branbailey9 said:
I am replacing every kind of component but I am having the most trouble with ICs. Since some of these designs are from the 1970s everything is thru hole and almost every potential replacement I find is SMT.

One option (although not a great option) would be to make little adapter boardlets from SOIC to DIP, kind of like the Surfboards:

http://www.capitaladvanced.com/9000ser.htm

But with the required DIP pattern instead. You may be able to find them already available, so you don't have to make them yourself. If your volumes are not too high, little adapter boardlets can maybe help with the more difficult ICs.

Great Suggestion. Thank you very much.

Also, a good website for looking for parts in distribution is Findchips.com

www.findchips.com

I'm not sure how good they would be with obsolete parts, though. Good luck!

It sounds like you are seeking stocks for a service and maintenance department.

Many military and multinational organisations are destocking and interesting job lots of such components (new but obsolete) are frequently offered on Ebay and other auction sites.

There is a supplier in Munich who seems to have an inexhaustable supply of germanium stuff, plus other more recent.

Another such supplier from Liverpool offers all kinds of ex telecom stuff.

Have you tried Mouser Electronics? No minimum order, and they have a LOT of stuff.

http://www.mouser.com/?cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-brand&gclid=CMaZm9zsj6YCFcnc4AodpA23nA

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are obsolete components and why do they need replacements?

Obsolete components are electronic parts that are no longer manufactured or widely available. They need replacements because they are essential for the functioning of older devices and systems, and without replacements, these devices become unusable.

2. How do I locate obsolete component replacements?

There are a few ways to locate obsolete component replacements. One option is to search for them online on websites that specialize in selling electronic components. Another option is to contact the original manufacturer or a third-party supplier who may still have the component in stock. Additionally, you can try reaching out to other professionals in your industry who may have knowledge or access to the component you need.

3. Are there any risks associated with using obsolete component replacements?

Yes, there are some risks associated with using obsolete component replacements. Since these components are no longer in production, their quality and reliability may be compromised. It is important to thoroughly research the replacement and ensure it is compatible with your device or system before using it.

4. How can I determine if a replacement component is compatible with my device?

To determine compatibility, you can start by comparing the specifications of the obsolete component with the replacement. Look at factors such as voltage, current, and size to ensure they match. It is also helpful to consult with technical experts or the manufacturer of the device for guidance.

5. Can I modify or adapt a replacement component to fit my device?

In some cases, it may be possible to modify or adapt a replacement component to fit your device. However, this should only be done by a qualified professional who has a thorough understanding of the device and the replacement component. Modifying components can be risky and may compromise the functionality and safety of the device if not done correctly.