Location of maximum desctructive intereference

• Thread starter Gravitino22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximum
In summary, the problem asks to find the largest value of y, where two in-phase radio sources separated by 3λ in the x-direction can have fully destructive interference at the point (0,y). Using the fact that the maximum destructive interference occurs when ∆L = (m+1/2)λ, the attempt at a solution constructs a right triangle and deduces the difference in length to be ∆L = y - √(y^2 - 9λ^2) = 3λsinθ. However, there are two issues with this approach: the expression for ∆L should represent the hypotenuse of the right triangle, and the angle is not necessary to solve the problem.
Gravitino22

Homework Statement

Two radio sources in the xy plane are in phase and emitting the same wavelength, λ. Their locations are at coordinates (0,0) and (3λ,0). Show that the largest value of y at which fully destructive intereference may occur at coordinates (0, y) is given by
y=35λ/4

Homework Equations

Maximum destructive interference : dsinθ=(m+1/2)λ it’s derived from youngs two slit experiment
and ∆L = dsinθ <<< was used to derive the above, d is the source separation.

The Attempt at a Solution

My train of thought was that since we want the maximum difference in length the angle must be maximum but if the angle was 90 the waves wouldn’t even meet. So I constructed a right triangle from the problem and deduced that the difference in length would be
∆L =y-sqrt(y^2-9λ^2)=3λsinθ
And this is where i got stuck because I am confused on which angle we are looking at.

Any help is greatly appreciated ! thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
one bump because I still haven't solved this and my test is this week =/. Thanks for the help

Gravitino22 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

My train of thought was that since we want the maximum difference in length the angle must be maximum but if the angle was 90 the waves wouldn’t even meet. So I constructed a right triangle from the problem and deduced that the difference in length would be
∆L =y-sqrt(y^2-9λ^2)=3λsinθ
That's a reasonable start, but I see a couple of problems...

1. If the right triangle vertices are at (0,0), (3λ,0), and (0,y), then the legs of the right Δ are y and 3λ, and your sqrt expression should represent the hypotenuse (distance from (0,y) to (3λ,0). As you have written it, it does not represent the hypotenuse ... but a simple correction will fix that.

And this is where i got stuck because I am confused on which angle we are looking at.

2. I wouldn't worry about the angle. As you probably know, ∆L must be (m+1/2)λ here, where m is 0, ±1, ±2, etc. You can use this fact with the expression you wrote for ∆L.

1. What is "Location of maximum destructive interference"?

"Location of maximum destructive interference" refers to the point or area in a wave where the amplitude of the wave is cancelled out due to the overlapping of two or more waves with opposite phases. This results in a decrease or complete cancellation of the total amplitude at that particular point.

2. How is the location of maximum destructive interference determined?

The location of maximum destructive interference is determined by the relative distances between the sources of the waves and the point where the interference occurs. This distance, along with the wavelength of the waves, helps to calculate the phase difference between the waves and determine the point of destructive interference.

3. What factors affect the location of maximum destructive interference?

The location of maximum destructive interference can be influenced by the wavelength of the waves, the distance between the sources of the waves, and the phase difference between the waves. Other factors such as the medium through which the waves are traveling and any obstacles in the path of the waves can also affect the location of destructive interference.

4. Why is understanding the location of maximum destructive interference important?

Understanding the location of maximum destructive interference is important in various fields such as optics, acoustics, and telecommunications. It helps to explain phenomena such as diffraction, standing waves, and signal interference. By understanding this concept, scientists and engineers can design and optimize devices and systems to minimize destructive interference and improve overall performance.

5. How can the location of maximum destructive interference be controlled?

The location of maximum destructive interference can be controlled by adjusting the relative distances between the sources of the waves, changing the wavelength of the waves, or altering the phase difference between the waves. In some cases, using materials with specific properties or designing structures with certain dimensions can also help to control the location of destructive interference.