Path difference in an interference device

In summary: So basically what you are saying is that when light passes through a material with an index of refraction, the light waves will be shortened in length. This is because the material is acting like a filter and is only allowing certain wavelengths of light through.
kent davidge

Homework Statement

In a Young’s two-slit experiment a piece of glass with an index of refraction and a thickness is placed in front of the upper slit. (a) Describe qualitatively what happens to the interference pattern. (b) Derive an expression for the intensity of the light at points on a screen as a function of n, L and θ. Here θ is the usual angle measured from the center of the two slits. (c) From your result in part (b) derive an expression for the values of θ that locate the maxima in the interference pattern.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(Sorry my bad English). Let φ be the phase difference between the two waves. When φ is equal to 2π the path difference dsinθ + d2 is equal to one wavelength. I've not found a relationship between L, n and the angles of incidence and refraction. So I've considered simply that the extra distance d2 should be proportional to L and n. When n is equal to zero, the light doesn't bend and the path difference is simply dsinθ. The larger value of n, the greater distance d2. So:
2π/φ = [dsinθ + L(n - 1)] / λ
Is it a correct assumption?

See my sketch below:
2d9ycye.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
When n is equal to zero, the light doesn't bend and the path difference is simply dsinθ.
i wonder when can n=0 if n is something like refractive index of the glass it can not go to zero?

I mean when n is equal to 1 :biggrin:

I think n = 0 means that the atoms will reject all the energy of the wave. Am I right?

kent davidge said:
I think n = 0 means that the atoms will reject all the energy of the wave. Am I right?
what is n when expressed as related to speed of light in various medium? is it a number or has some units?
when we do such experiments what happens when you place a material in one of the beams i.e. after the slit.?
pl. see a class XI-XII physics textbook= its a common example- or see Principles of Physics by Sears,Young and Zemansky

/

kent davidge said:
In a Young’s two-slit experiment a piece of glass with an index of refraction and a thickness is placed in front of the upper slit.

In "front" of the slit might be interpreted as placing the glass plate on the left of the slit as shown below. That way, you don't need to worry about refraction. You can think of the light that passes through the plate as traveling the distance d2 = L through the plate rather than some "slanted" distance.

Let φ be the phase difference between the two waves. When φ is equal to 2π the path difference dsinθ + d2 is equal to one wavelength. I've not found a relationship between L, n and the angles of incidence and refraction. So I've considered simply that the extra distance d2 should be proportional to L and n. When n is equal to zero, the light doesn't bend and the path difference is simply dsinθ. The larger value of n, the greater distance d2. So:
2π/φ = [dsinθ + L(n - 1)] / λ
Is it a correct assumption?

dsinθ + d2 is not the effective path difference. The first term is ok, but d2 is not the path difference caused by the plate. You need to compare the number of wavelengths of light that occur over a distance L inside the plate with the number of wavelengths of light that occur over a distance L outside the plate.

Your expression 2π/φ = [dsinθ + L(n - 1)] / λ is almost correct. Is your fraction on the left sided of the equation upside down? Also, people usually take θ to be positive for angles above the horizontal. If you do that, then you need to check your signs on the right side of the equation.

Attachments

• Two slit with plate.png
    Two slit with plate.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 506
Okay, but in your sketch with the glass on the left side, the thickness L would not affect the path of the light, because it would not change its direction. Is it correct? If so, we wouldn't need to include the L and n in the result, but it doesn't satisfy the problem.

Last edited:
The glass will produce a phase difference between the light wave that passes through the top slit and the wave that passes through the bottom slit. You can think of this as due to the shortening of the wavelength when the light is inside the glass.

TSny said:
The glass will produce a phase difference between the light wave that passes through the top slit and the wave that passes through the bottom slit. You can think of this as due to the shortening of the wavelength when the light is inside the glass.
Ok. I'll try to solve considering it soon.

TSny said:
dsinθ + d2 is not the effective path difference. The first term is ok, but d2 is not the path difference caused by the plate. You need to compare the number of wavelengths of light that occur over a distance L inside the plate with the number of wavelengths of light that occur over a distance L outside the plate
I thought when d2 + dsinθ = λ, φ should be equal to 2π. Would it be so if d2 were part of the path difference?

TSny said:
Your expression 2π/φ = [dsinθ + L(n - 1)] / λ is almost correct. Is your fraction on the left sided of the equation upside down?
Oh yes, I wrote it wrong. As I mentioned in the quote 2#, I thought 2π is proportional to φ when d2 + dsinθ is equal to λ.

Last edited:
I've tried solving this problem several times and don't get the solution. I know that the light travels more slowly on the glass but don't know how to relate it with the phase angle.

kent davidge said:
I know that the light travels more slowly on the glass but don't know how to relate it with the phase angle.
first you should try to define the phase angle- relate it to path length and then see how the in turn it can be related to speed of the wave.

Wave that passes through upper slit:
time interval for passing through glass = Ln / c;
time interval due additional distance on the right side = dsinθ / c;
time for reaching the screen = t.

Wave that passes through lower slit:
time interval for passing through the same distance L = L / c;
time for reaching the screen = t.

Time difference between the two waves: (1/c) (Ln + dsinθ - L).
Now, if this time difference multiplied by the speed of light (additional distance traveled) equals one wavelength, then φ will be equal to 2π.

Wow... I finally get it. But what if the glass plate were on the right side? Why the angles of incidence and refraction doesn't matter here?

kent davidge said:
Why the angles of incidence and refraction doesn't matter here?

try to think over it and do the calculation by taking anguluar deflection /transmission of light- then calculate the time taken to traverse that distance- again do the difference to get path difference and convert it to phase difference- you have found out in doing above calculations so many times that a phase difference due to change in path say dL is equivalent to (2.Pi)/wavelengrth times dL- but due to refracting medium the wavelength has changed . so in new calculation one must use it for the new path inside.then see...

Likes kent davidge

1. What is path difference in an interference device?

Path difference in an interference device is the difference in the distance traveled by two waves before they interfere with each other. It is an important concept in interference phenomena, such as in Young's double slit experiment.

2. How does path difference affect interference patterns?

The path difference between two waves determines the phase difference between them. This phase difference determines whether the waves will interfere constructively (in phase) or destructively (out of phase). This, in turn, affects the interference pattern observed in the device.

3. How is path difference calculated?

Path difference can be calculated by finding the difference in the distances traveled by the two waves. In an interference device, this can be done by measuring the distance between the two sources of the waves and the distance from the sources to the point of interference.

4. What is the significance of path difference in determining the wavelength of light?

Path difference is directly related to the wavelength of light. By measuring the path difference and knowing the distance between the sources, the wavelength of the light can be calculated using the equation λ = d/D, where λ is the wavelength, d is the path difference, and D is the distance between the sources.

5. How does path difference change with different interference devices?

The path difference in an interference device depends on the setup and geometry of the device. For example, in a Michelson interferometer, the path difference can be changed by adjusting the position of the mirrors, while in a Fabry-Perot interferometer, the path difference is determined by the spacing of the mirrors. In general, the path difference can be controlled by changing the distance between the sources or the path length of the waves.