Logarithm problem that I'm stuck on

In summary: Therefore, in summary, the problem is to solve for x in the equation ln(x) = 5 - x, which has no analytical solution. It can be solved numerically, using the iterative method of finding the solutions to y = x + ln(x) by taking an initial guess and repeating the process until convergence is achieved. Alternatively, the solution can be found using the Lambert W function as x= W(e^5).
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem statement
ln(x) = 5 -x
Solve for x.

The attempt at a solution
[tex]ln x = 5 - x \\ e^{ln x} = e^{5 - x} \\ e^{ln x} = \frac{e^5}{e^x} \\ x e^x = e^5[/tex]
Here is the place where I get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no analytical solution. You have to solve it numerically, e.g. ##x_{n+1}=5-\ln(x_n)## starting with ##x_0=5##.

In addition to what DrDu said already, the formal solution to the problem is given in terms of the Lambert W function. As indicated in the previous post, you will have to find the solutions to this numerically.

##5 = x + ln(x)##

Consider:
##y = 5##
and
##y = x + ln(x)##

Take an educated guess at a solution.

##y_n = x_n + ln(x_n)##
_
Consider the slope of the tangent line to this function at ##x_n##.

The slope of the tangent line of this function at ##x_n## is approximately equal to the slope of the secant line of this function between ##x_n## and ##x_{n+1}##.

Let ##y_{n+1} = 5##.

Find your new ## x_{n+1}##.

Repeat iteratively.

Within 3 iterations (by hand), I converged on the solution.

The "Lambert W function" that Orodruin referred to is defined as the inverse function to [itex]f(x)= xe^x[/itex]. So, immediately, x= W(e^5).

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of exponentiation. It is used to solve equations where the variable is in the exponent.

2. How do I solve a logarithm problem?

To solve a logarithm problem, you need to isolate the logarithm term and exponentiate both sides of the equation. You can then solve for the variable using algebraic techniques.

3. What is the difference between a natural logarithm and a common logarithm?

A natural logarithm, denoted as ln, uses the base e (approximately 2.718) while a common logarithm, denoted as log, uses the base 10. This means that ln(x) represents the power to which e must be raised to equal x, while log(x) represents the power to which 10 must be raised to equal x.

4. Can a logarithm be negative?

Yes, a logarithm can be negative. This occurs when the base is greater than 1 and the argument (number inside the logarithm) is between 0 and 1.

5. How can I use logarithms in real life?

Logarithms have many real-life applications, such as in finance, biology, and computer science. They are commonly used to represent data that grows exponentially, such as population growth or interest rates. They are also used in pH calculations, earthquake magnitude measurements, and audio engineering.