Solving a logarithmic equation

• Thread starter xxwinexx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
In summary: Remember your exponent and logarithm rules (they're pretty similar): If a, b, and c are real numbers, then:(ab)c = abcandln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab).The latter is derived from the fact that eaeb = ea+b.Indeed. You can check it by replacing x with ln(5) in the original equation. Since both sides are positive (the natural logarithm has only a positive domain), it is also the only real solution.
xxwinexx

Homework Statement

(e^x)^2-5(e^x)=0

Homework Equations

I've reviewed my logarithmic rules, but I cannot get to the right solution. I should be trying to get one e^x on each side so that I can take the ln of both sides and end up with a simple algebraic process to solve.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is as far as I get without running into my problem:
(e^x)^2=5(e^x)

I guess here I could take the ln of both sides, but I guess I'm confused about what happens to the x^2, and to the 5.

Edit:

Ahh, Thanks for the reminder. Don't want to bump this any more.

Took ln of both sides, ended with:

2x=ln5+x

x=ln5

Is that the correct way to that solution?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember your exponent and logarithm rules (they're pretty similar): If a, b, and c are real numbers, then:
(ab)c = abc
and
ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab).
The latter is derived from the fact that eaeb = ea+b.

Indeed. You can check it by replacing x with ln(5) in the original equation. Since both sides are positive (the natural logarithm has only a positive domain), it is also the only real solution.

xxwinexx said:

Homework Statement

(e^x)^2-5(e^x)=0

Homework Equations

I've reviewed my logarithmic rules, but I cannot get to the right solution. I should be trying to get one e^x on each side so that I can take the ln of both sides and end up with a simple algebraic process to solve.
If you let y= ex, then your equation is y2- 5y= y(y- 5)= 0. Can you solve that?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is as far as I get without running into my problem:
(e^x)^2=5(e^x)

I guess here I could take the ln of both sides, but I guess I'm confused about what happens to the x^2, and to the 5.
?? There is NO x^2. There is (e^x)^2.

Edit:

Ahh, Thanks for the reminder. Don't want to bump this any more.

Took ln of both sides, ended with:

2x=ln5+x

x=ln5

Is that the correct way to that solution?

1. What is a logarithmic equation?

A logarithmic equation is an equation in which a variable appears as an exponent of a logarithm. The general form of a logarithmic equation is logb(x) = y, where b is the base of the logarithm, x is the input value, and y is the output value.

2. How do you solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the properties of logarithms to manipulate the equation and isolate the variable. The basic properties of logarithms include the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. You can also use the change of base formula to convert a logarithm with one base to a logarithm with a different base.

3. What are the common logarithmic bases?

The most commonly used logarithmic bases are base 10 (log10) and base e (ln). Logarithms with base 10 are often used in scientific calculations, while logarithms with base e are used in natural logarithms and calculus.

4. How do logarithmic equations relate to exponential equations?

Logarithmic equations and exponential equations are inverse operations of each other. This means that if you have an exponential equation, you can rewrite it as a logarithmic equation and vice versa. For example, the exponential equation 2x = 8 is equivalent to the logarithmic equation log2(8) = x.

5. What are some common applications of logarithmic equations?

Logarithmic equations are used in a variety of fields, including science, engineering, finance, and statistics. Some common applications include measuring the intensity of earthquakes (using the Richter scale), calculating the pH of a solution, and modeling population growth. Logarithmic equations are also used in algorithms for data compression and encryption.