Logic, negation of a statement containing quantifiers

• Thread starter SithsNGiggles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, quantifiers are used in logic to specify the quantity of objects that satisfy a given statement. The negation of a statement containing quantifiers means that the statement is false and asserts that there are no objects that satisfy the given statement. To negate a statement containing universal quantifiers, we use the existential quantifier and negate the original statement. Negating a statement simply means to make it false, while taking the contrapositive involves switching the order of the antecedent and consequent and negating both. The negation of a statement with quantifiers can also contain quantifiers, with the negation of a statement with universal quantifiers containing existential quantifiers and vice versa. This is because the quantifiers are used to specify the
SithsNGiggles
Hi, I've got another answer I'd like checked. I'm pretty sure it works out, but I want to be certain.

Homework Statement

Write a sentence in everyday English that properly communicates the negation of each statement.

"Some differentiable functions are bounded."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I wrote the statement symbolically:
[itex](\exists f(x) \in X) (f(x) \; \mbox{is bounded} \wedge f(x) \; \mbox{is differentiable})[/itex],
where I let [itex]X[/itex] be the set of differentiable functions.

[itex]\neg (\exists f(x) \in X) (f(x) \; \mbox{is bounded} \wedge f(x) \; \mbox{is differentiable})[/itex]

[itex](\forall f(x) \in X) \neg (f(x) \; \mbox{is bounded} \wedge f(x) \; \mbox{is differentiable})[/itex]

[itex](\forall f(x) \in X) (f(x) \; \mbox{is not bounded} \vee f(x) \; \mbox{is not differentiable})[/itex]

My question is, can I simplify this sentence to
[itex](\forall f(x) \in X) (f(x) \; \mbox{is not bounded})[/itex],
since all [itex]f(x) \in X[/itex] are differentiable and therefore cannot be differentiable?

I just want to make sure my reasoning works here. Thanks!

As for the English translation:
"Every differentiable function is not bounded."

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SithsNGiggles said:
Hi, I've got another answer I'd like checked. I'm pretty sure it works out, but I want to be certain.

Homework Statement

Write a sentence in everyday English that properly communicates the negation of each statement.

"Some differentiable functions are bounded."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I wrote the statement symbolically:
[itex](\exists f(x) \in X) (f(x) \; \mbox{is bounded} \wedge f(x) \; \mbox{is differentiable})[/itex],
where I let [itex]X[/itex] be the set of differentiable functions.

So the condition "f(x) is differentiable" is equivalent to [itex]f(x) \in X[/itex] and so redundant:
[tex](\exists f(x) \in X) (f(x)\mbox{ is bounded})[/tex]

[itex]\neg (\exists f(x) \in X) (f(x) \; \mbox{is bounded} \wedge f(x) \; \mbox{is differentiable})[/itex]

[itex](\forall f(x) \in X) \neg (f(x) \; \mbox{is bounded} \wedge f(x) \; \mbox{is differentiable})[/itex]

[itex](\forall f(x) \in X) (f(x) \; \mbox{is not bounded} \vee f(x) \; \mbox{is not differentiable})[/itex]

My question is, can I simplify this sentence to
[itex](\forall f(x) \in X) (f(x) \; \mbox{is not bounded})[/itex],
since all [itex]f(x) \in X[/itex] are differentiable and therefore cannot be differentiable?

Yes: "P or false" is equivalent to P.

If you are defining X to be the set of all differentiable functions, then there is no need for "[itex]\and \text{f is differentiable}[/itex]" in your original statement. With that definition of X, your statement is simply "[itex](\exist f\in X)(f \text{is bounded})[/itex]" and it negation is "[itex](\all f\in X) (f \text{is not bounded})[/itex]".

In any case, the negation of "some differentiable functions are bounded", in "every day English" is "no differentiable functions are bounded".

1. What is the purpose of using quantifiers in logic?

Quantifiers are used in logic to specify the quantity of objects that satisfy a given statement. They allow us to make generalizations and statements about groups of objects, rather than individual objects.

2. What does the negation of a statement containing quantifiers mean?

The negation of a statement containing quantifiers means that the statement is false. It is the opposite of the original statement and asserts that there are no objects that satisfy the given statement.

3. How do you negate a statement containing universal quantifiers?

To negate a statement containing universal quantifiers (e.g. "for all" or "for every"), we use the existential quantifier (e.g. "there exists" or "there is") and negate the original statement. This means that the negation of "for all x, P(x)" is "there exists an x such that not P(x)".

4. What is the difference between negating a statement and taking its contrapositive?

Negating a statement simply means to make it false. Taking the contrapositive, on the other hand, involves switching the order of the antecedent and consequent and negating both. This results in an equivalent statement to the original, whereas negating a statement may result in a different statement.

5. Can the negation of a statement with quantifiers also contain quantifiers?

Yes, the negation of a statement with quantifiers can also contain quantifiers. In fact, the negation of a statement with universal quantifiers will contain existential quantifiers, and vice versa. This is because the quantifiers are used to specify the quantity of objects that satisfy a given statement, so their negations must also specify some quantity of objects.