Logic: the battle of the sexes

• Thread starter Astrophysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, some of you who might know me a bit, might know that I like chess a lot and sometimes read something about the latest events in the chessworld. While I was playing chess last night, I suddenly wondered if females have another way of thinking than males. Because in the chessworld, men are usually stronger than females, I thought it might have to do with the way females think, organize, and what they think is more logical. But then again, I started thinking more about this and I remembered that females are usually better at mathematics than the male. It all might just be coincidence, but the again maybe not. What do you think?
Astrophysics
Some of you who might know me a bit, might know that I like chess a lot and now and then read something about the latest events in the chessworld.

While I was playing chess last night I suddenly wondered if females have another way of logical thinking than males. Because in the chessworld men are usually stronger at chess than females, I thought it might have to do with the way females think, organize and what they think is more logical.
It might also be that females are less strong opponents than the males (the difference isn't that big), because there are less women in the chessworld.
But then again I started thinking more about this logical thinking and I remembered that females are usually better at mathematics than the male.
It all might just be coinsidence, but the again maybe not.

What do you think?

p.s. I think this post actually belongs in a psychological forum, but I haven't seen any.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I believe there is research that shows women use their brains differently from men. When women and men are put on an MRI machine and asked to solve the same problems, the women's brains lit up all over, but the mens' lit up in a few definite areas.

Conjecture:(women particpants please critique): for women a problem is not sharply separated from its background but has a penumbra of related and less related things with it. For men, it is possible to hone in on just the problem at hand and not be at all distracted by side issues. Wrong? Right? Let's get some testimony instead of one sided opinions.

I asked one of my (female) friends if this is true and she said that in her experience this is indeed true. I know one person isn't enough so maybe others could give theire opinion on this.

Astrophysics, there is an article in the August issue of Pyschology Today on this subject.

oh thanks turtle, do you also have a link to this article? (or isn't the article available on the web?)

I couldn't find anything about this article on theire site turtle.
Could you please tell me what the article said?

Atrophysics, I found the article here a link
http://www.psychologytoday.com/htdocs/prod/ptoarticle/pto-20030624-000003.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Logic: the battle of the sexes"?

"Logic: the battle of the sexes" is a classic game theory problem that explores how individuals make decisions in situations where their interests are in conflict with others. It involves two players, typically a man and a woman, who must make choices that will affect both of them.

2. What is the purpose of "Logic: the battle of the sexes"?

The purpose of "Logic: the battle of the sexes" is to understand how rational individuals make decisions in situations where there is a conflict of interest. It helps researchers and scientists better understand the dynamics of decision-making and strategic thinking.

3. How is "Logic: the battle of the sexes" played?

The game is played by two players who each have two possible choices: to go to a football game or to go to a ballet performance. They must make their decisions without knowing what the other player will choose. The outcome of the game is determined by which choices the players make.

4. What are the possible outcomes of "Logic: the battle of the sexes"?

There are three possible outcomes in "Logic: the battle of the sexes": 1) Both players choose to go to the football game, 2) Both players choose to go to the ballet performance, or 3) One player chooses to go to the football game while the other chooses to go to the ballet performance. Each outcome has different consequences for the players.

5. How does "Logic: the battle of the sexes" relate to real-life situations?

"Logic: the battle of the sexes" can be applied to many real-life situations where individuals must make decisions that affect themselves and others. This game theory problem helps us understand how people weigh their own interests against the interests of others and make strategic decisions in these types of situations.