Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Long Bar and the Speed of Light

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    I was asked this today, and I cannot picture an answer. Say you had a long bar in a vacuum, billions of miles long. If a force was applied lengthwise on one end, would the other end immediately respond? Would reference frames matter in this instance? I know information cannot travel faster than the speed of light, and I have a basic understanding of special relatively, but i cannot picture what would happen in this case...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are lots of threads about this. Perhaps someone who participated in one of them can post a link.

The other end will not respond immediately. You will just create a mechanical wave that propagates at the speed of sound. (A longitudinal mechanical wave is, by definition, sound). If you hit it with a hammer that's moving faster than the speed of sound in that material, then you'll just break it and create a wave the propagates at the speed of sound.

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?