1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of Transverse Waves problem

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two children are sending signals along a cord of total mass 0.54 kg tied between tin cans with a tension of 37 N. It takes the vibrations in the string 0.53 s to go from one child to the other. How far apart are the children?

Express your answer using two significant figures

2. Relevant equations
    Velocity of transverse wave on a cord = sqrt(F_t/[itex]\mu[/itex])
    F_t = Tension Force
    [itex]\mu[/itex] = mass per unit length -> m/l

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted plugging the given values into the formula for velocity of a transverse wave on a cord, and came up with a distance of 4.387 meters. However, after getting the problem wrong (on masterphysics) I realized that the mass given for the cord is its total mass rather than mass per unit length. Seeing as what I am asked to find is the distance between the children (length of the cord) I dont see any way of solving this problem. Am i simply missing the proper formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2
    Hello rusty65!! :smile:

The mass per unit length, as you've written in your relevant equations is m/l. Putting this into the velocity equation and multiplying by time,

[itex]vt = t\sqrt{\frac{lF}{{m}}}[/itex]

What is "vt" in that above equation? :wink:

4. May 29, 2012 #3
    vt is equal to the distance, but the trouble im having is that the distance, d, that i am attempting to find is equal to the length of the string, l. So i must either be using the wrong formula, or some key piece of information is escaping me.

This is where im at right now, using the information given:

d = t√((F_t * l)/m) ---plugged in----> d = 0.53√(37l/0.54)

So ive still got two unknowns, d and l, which, according to the wording of the problem, seem to me to be equal to one another. :confused:

5. May 29, 2012 #4
    Scratch that, I figured it out!

Since d = l, I replaced l with d in the equation.

d = 0.53sqrt(37l/0.54) ---> d = 0.53sqrt(37d/0.54)
    d/sqrt(d) = 0.53sqrt(37/0.54) ---> d/sqrt(d) = 4.387
    d/sqrt(d) = d^(1/2) ---> sqrt(d) = 4.387
    d = (4.387)^2
    d = 19.246!

Took me a while to get it through my thick head, but I got it now. And thanks for the help!

6. May 29, 2012 #5
    Yep! That is what I was suggesting. Good to see you figured it out :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook