1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Longitudinal Wave Equation from Transverse One

1. Apr 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please see attached.
    Part ii)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I try to conserve volume as it suggests in the hint. I take the initial volume of the region to be given by:
    $$ h \times \delta x \times l = (\delta x + \eta) (h+\Psi) l $$
    Where l is just some fixed, constant length which can immediately be canceled. Expanding:
    $$ \Psi \delta x = - \eta (\psi + h) $$
    But ## h>> \psi \implies (\psi+h) \approx h ##
    $$ \Psi \delta x = - \eta h $$
    For small values of ## \eta ## (which is implied by the fact that ## \psi ## is small? ) we can make the statement:
    $$ \eta \approx \frac{\partial \eta}{ \partial x} \delta x $$
    So that:
    $$ \Psi \approx - h\frac{\partial \eta}{\partial x} $$

Well, I got to the result, but I'm just not sure that this approach is correct - for instance should I not put ## \delta \Psi## instead of ## \Psi## - but then I have second differentials and I get the wrong answer... - also not entirely sure how to justify the assumption that if ## h >> \psi ## then ## \eta ## must be small... or is that okay because we are just approximating?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2015 #2
    I think you shouldnt use ##\delta \psi## cause the change in the transverse direction of the volume is simply ##\psi(x)## however you should use ##\delta \eta## cause the change in the longitudinal direction of the volume is ##\eta(x+\delta x)-\eta(x)=\delta \eta##.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted