Longitudinal Wave Equation from Transverse One

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a problem involving the conservation of volume. The solution involves taking the initial volume of the region and expanding it to find the relationship between the variables. It is suggested to use small values for the variables and make certain assumptions to arrive at the correct solution. One question is raised about the use of ##\delta \psi## versus ##\psi##, but it is decided to use ##\psi##. The conversation also discusses the justification for assuming that ##\eta## is small.
bananabandana

Homework Statement

Please see attached.
Part ii)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I try to conserve volume as it suggests in the hint. I take the initial volume of the region to be given by:
$$ h \times \delta x \times l = (\delta x + \eta) (h+\Psi) l $$
Where l is just some fixed, constant length which can immediately be canceled. Expanding:
$$ \Psi \delta x = - \eta (\psi + h) $$
But ## h>> \psi \implies (\psi+h) \approx h ##
$$ \Psi \delta x = - \eta h $$
For small values of ## \eta ## (which is implied by the fact that ## \psi ## is small? ) we can make the statement:
$$ \eta \approx \frac{\partial \eta}{ \partial x} \delta x $$
So that:
$$ \Psi \approx - h\frac{\partial \eta}{\partial x} $$

Well, I got to the result, but I'm just not sure that this approach is correct - for instance should I not put ## \delta \Psi## instead of ## \Psi## - but then I have second differentials and I get the wrong answer... - also not entirely sure how to justify the assumption that if ## h >> \psi ## then ## \eta ## must be small... or is that okay because we are just approximating?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 16.24.01.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 16.24.01.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 695
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you shouldn't use ##\delta \psi## cause the change in the transverse direction of the volume is simply ##\psi(x)## however you should use ##\delta \eta## cause the change in the longitudinal direction of the volume is ##\eta(x+\delta x)-\eta(x)=\delta \eta##.

Last edited:

1. What is the longitudinal wave equation?

The longitudinal wave equation is a mathematical representation of a wave that travels in the same direction as its oscillations, also known as compressional or pressure waves. It differs from the transverse wave equation, which represents waves that travel perpendicular to their oscillations.

2. How is the longitudinal wave equation derived from the transverse wave equation?

The longitudinal wave equation can be derived from the transverse wave equation by applying the principle of conservation of energy and using the relationship between displacement and pressure for longitudinal waves. This results in the wave equation for longitudinal waves: ∂2p/∂t2 = c22p/∂x2, where p is the pressure, t is time, x is distance, and c is the speed of the wave.

3. What are some examples of longitudinal waves?

Some examples of longitudinal waves include sound waves, seismic waves, and ultrasound waves. Sound waves travel through air or a medium, while seismic waves travel through the Earth's layers. Ultrasound waves are used in medical imaging and can also travel through solids, liquids, and gases.

4. What is the importance of the longitudinal wave equation in science?

The longitudinal wave equation is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of waves in various mediums. This equation is used in fields such as acoustics, seismology, and medical imaging. It also allows us to analyze the properties of different waves, such as their speed, wavelength, and frequency.

5. How is the longitudinal wave equation used in real-world applications?

The longitudinal wave equation has many real-world applications, such as in the design of musical instruments and soundproofing materials. It is also used in earthquake engineering to predict the impact of seismic waves on structures. In addition, the equation is utilized in medical imaging technologies, such as ultrasound and MRI, to produce images of internal body structures.