Looking for a good number theory book(

In summary, the person is looking for a number theory book that assumes a strong background in mathematics, particularly in multivariable calculus and differential equations. They are in 11th grade and have already studied nonlinear dynamics, mechanics, and quantum mechanics. They are seeking a book that is well-organized and either focused on the analytic side or a middle ground between analytic and algebraic approaches. They are familiar with Hardy's book on number theory but find it too scattered. They also mention having considerable mathematical maturity. Some potential book suggestions are Apostol - Introduction To Analytic Number Theory, Ireland and Rosen - A Classical Introduction to Modern Number Theory, and Niven and Zuckerman - An introduction to the theory of numbers, 5ed.
vadiraja
Here is my situation,

In short I want a number theory book that doesn't assume knowledge of previous number theory but assumes all knowledge of mathematics. I have been knowing multivariable calculus since about 4 years(learned it from Thomas 4th edition(this book was not like the later watered down editions of his book)). From various books I picked up from my grandfather(quantum chemist working on ligand field theory) I learned differential equations well(Ordinary, Partial, Nonlinear especially from strogatz)

WARNING: WHAT FOLLOWS IS LONG. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THE REST YOU CAN SKIP IT.(though if you are feeling helpful or heroic you can read on

I am going into 11th grade. I know my mathematics very well. I recently finished strogatz nonlinear dynamics, landau and liftgarbagez mechanics, landau and liftgarbagez quantum mechanics. So I basically know all my mathematics necessary for an applied sense. But i have always wanted to know number theory well. The problem is that most number theory books I know assume that you don't know calculus and therefore most books complicate simple results that can be easily proved from a sound knowledge of mathematics.

I don't really want hardy's book on number theory because it is not quite systematic(almost as a bunch of snatches of number theory put together).

I have considerable mathematical maturity. Please take this into account while helping me choose a suitable book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apostol - Introduction To Analytic Number Theory is well organized and oriented as the title suggests towards the analytic side of number theory which might suit your interests and background. OTOH Ireland and Rosen - A Classical Introduction to Modern Number Theory is more on the algebraic side. I fondly recall reading the precursor to Ireland and Rosen shortly after it was published one stormy weekend on Martha's Vineyard. And Niven and Zuckerman - An introduction to the theory of numbers, 5ed attempts a middle of the road treatment at the upper undergraduate level.

Last edited:

1. What are some recommended number theory books for beginners?

Some recommended number theory books for beginners include "Introduction to Number Theory" by Richard A. Mollin, "Elementary Number Theory" by David M. Burton, and "A Friendly Introduction to Number Theory" by Joseph H. Silverman.

2. Are there any number theory books suitable for self-study?

Yes, there are many number theory books that are suitable for self-study. Some popular options include "Number Theory: A Lively Introduction with Proofs, Applications, and Stories" by James Pommersheim, "A Course in Number Theory and Cryptography" by Neal Koblitz, and "Number Theory for Beginners" by Andre Weil.

3. What are some advanced number theory books for those with a strong mathematical background?

For those with a strong mathematical background, some advanced number theory books include "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by G. H. Hardy and E. M. Wright, "Algebraic Number Theory" by Serge Lang, and "Analytic Number Theory" by Henryk Iwaniec and Emmanuel Kowalski.

4. Are there any number theory books that focus specifically on applications?

Yes, there are number theory books that focus on applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. Some examples include "Algebraic Number Theory and Code Design for Rayleigh Fading Channels" by Richard F. Blahut and "A Computational Introduction to Number Theory and Algebra" by Victor Shoup.

5. Can you recommend a number theory book that covers both elementary and advanced topics?

One option that covers both elementary and advanced topics is "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by Ivan Niven, Herbert S. Zuckerman, and Hugh L. Montgomery. It starts with basic concepts and gradually builds up to more complex topics such as quadratic forms, elliptic curves, and Diophantine equations.