1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Looking for a linear algebra book

1. Sep 12, 2015 #1
    Hello all,
    I am about a week into a quantum mechanics course in which the instructor is mostly going to follow along with Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics. However, my linear algebra is pretty rusty and I have never taken an actual course in linear algebra, I have just learned what I have needed for different classes. Right now I am reviewing the formalism chapter of Griffiths Intro to QM, and working through Sakurai CH1. Can anyone recommend a good linear algebra book which will help me round out my linear algebra knowledge and put me on better footing for this course?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2015 #2

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I learned a great deal of linear algebra from reading Hassani's book, Mathematical Physics. He uses the Dirac notation consistently and that's nice. Another book that was really helpful is Don Koks' book, Explorations in Mathematical Physics, especially the first chapter. If you would like more of a mathematician's intro, Halmos' book, Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces, is a classic.

4. Sep 13, 2015 #3
    Thanks!!!

5. Sep 13, 2015 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Sep 13, 2015 #5
    Very cool, thanks!

7. Sep 13, 2015 #6
    chapter 1 in sakurai has pretty intense linear algebra, but if you're able to follow with it, then i doubt you would need another resource.

I found MIT ocw 8.05 lecture notes to be incredibly helpful for qm linear algebra, specially when coupled with libear algebra done right.

8. Sep 14, 2015 #7
  9. Sep 14, 2015 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Sep 14, 2015 #9
    Hoffman/Kunze's Linear Algebra! The book is very thorough and challenging at the same time.

11. Sep 14, 2015 #10
    Thank you all so much! I am now wading through these resources, which are helping to shed light on the why and background of what Sakurai is talking about in the first chapter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted