1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a material to make a mold out of Aluminum bank

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    I have an Aluminum bank about 5" x 5" by 1/2" deep. Within the bank are all sorts of rows in which components are installed. I would like to make a mold of each individual bank.

Does anyone know of any materials that will work for making a mold? My first thought was silicon, but wondered if there is something specific for this kind of application.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do you want the result to be hard (like epoxy) or soft (like a silicone)? In either case, be sure to spray a mold release compound on the aluminum thing beforehand.

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    I could go for either. I am guessing that there is going to be at least 2 different types of releases between the silicon vs the epoxy. I think that epoxy would be nice, since it could probably be machined if needed.

Thanks,

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

berkeman

6. Oct 1, 2008 #5
    I am going to try and get an old unit and start messing around with some of the epoxy's that I can get at the local boat store and see where I get. I'll try and post some pics whnever I get around to doing this...

7. Oct 2, 2008 #6
    I came across something similar to this in one of those free magazines...Manufacturing Engineering. Are there any of those for the electronics, RF, or microwave world?

8. Oct 2, 2008 #7

berkeman

9. Oct 2, 2008 #8
    Excellent, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?