Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a material to make a mold out of Aluminum bank

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    I have an Aluminum bank about 5" x 5" by 1/2" deep. Within the bank are all sorts of rows in which components are installed. I would like to make a mold of each individual bank.

Does anyone know of any materials that will work for making a mold? My first thought was silicon, but wondered if there is something specific for this kind of application.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do you want the result to be hard (like epoxy) or soft (like a silicone)? In either case, be sure to spray a mold release compound on the aluminum thing beforehand.

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    I could go for either. I am guessing that there is going to be at least 2 different types of releases between the silicon vs the epoxy. I think that epoxy would be nice, since it could probably be machined if needed.

Thanks,

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

berkeman

6. Oct 1, 2008 #5
    I am going to try and get an old unit and start messing around with some of the epoxy's that I can get at the local boat store and see where I get. I'll try and post some pics whnever I get around to doing this...

7. Oct 2, 2008 #6
    I came across something similar to this in one of those free magazines...Manufacturing Engineering. Are there any of those for the electronics, RF, or microwave world?

8. Oct 2, 2008 #7

berkeman

9. Oct 2, 2008 #8
    Excellent, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?