Looking for a More Practical Quantum Mechanics Book?

In summary, the student is struggling with Quantum Mechanics. They are having trouble with the notation and with understanding the material. They plan to check out a book called "Shock Treatment" and another book called "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths.
MattLiverpool
Ok, so I am a third year astrophysics student.

Half way into first semester and everything is good apart from Quantum Mechanics! with help I can do questions and I am understanding it but everytime I get a new question I find it really hard.

The reccomended text is "Quantum Mechanics" by F. Mandl, it is a very helpful book however I was wondering if anyone else can reccomend a good book which is less proofs and derivations and more questions and solutions to get some practise?? Preferably a 'user friendly' book!

Physics news on Phys.org
I always found my undergraduate QM text to be quite readable. Its "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths. Excellent book.

J. J Sakurai - Modern QM

"Shock Treatment"

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I will look into them, I am really struggling coming to grips with the notation explained in the lectures, prehaps a different explanation will help!

"Lectures on quantum theory: mathematical and structural foundations" by Chris Isham.
"Quantum mechanics: a modern development" by Leslie Ballentine

Isham's book is easy, and perfect as a supplement to whatever you're studying for your first QM class. It includes a few excercises with complete solutions, but its emphasis is on the structure of the theory. Ballentine's book is excellent. I think it should eventually replace Sakurai as the standard advanced text. It would however be a terrible choice as a first book. It should be your third (after e.g. Griffiths and Isham).

Also note that there's a science book forum here, where you can find lots of threads like this one.

Thanks again, I will head up to the Library and check them out.

It isn't my first module its my 3rd Quantum module however the first to deal with the real maths behind quantum mechanics and looking at Dirac Notation!

Related to Looking for a More Practical Quantum Mechanics Book?

1. What makes a book a "good" book?

A good book is one that captures the reader's attention and holds it throughout the entire story. It should have well-developed characters, an interesting plot, and evoke emotions in the reader.

2. Where can I find suggestions for good books to read?

There are many places to find suggestions for good books, such as online book clubs, book review websites, and recommendations from friends and family. You can also visit your local library or bookstore and ask for recommendations from the staff.

3. How do I know if a book will be a good fit for me?

Every reader has different preferences, so what may be a "good" book for one person may not be for another. Reading reviews and synopses can give you an idea of what the book is about and whether it aligns with your interests. You can also read a sample of the book or ask for a recommendation from someone who knows your reading preferences.

4. Can you suggest a good book for someone who is just starting to read in a new genre?

If you are trying out a new genre, it can be helpful to start with a well-known and highly rated book in that genre. You can also ask for recommendations from friends or book club members who are familiar with the genre and can suggest a good starting point.

5. What are some classic books that are considered must-reads?

Some classic books that are considered must-reads include "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and "1984" by George Orwell. These books have stood the test of time and continue to be popular and influential in literature.