1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving to industry from general relativity

1. Aug 11, 2015 #1
    So I'm wondering if anyone has personal or anecdotal experience of people making the specific transition from general relativity to an industry job. It doesn't have to use specific math skills from GR, but bonus points if there is some relation.

It seems that most of the options are somewhere in software engineering or working for the DoD (both of which sound exciting to me). For starters, I'd like to highlight two relevant pieces of advice/experience:

http://www.spsnational.org/cup/profiles/hidden_archives.htm [Broken]

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/from-ph-d-to-industry.373844/

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

With respect to job requirements, if you write them too specifically then you likely won't find your candidate. If instead you write it more generically then you find people you can interview.

Also teams, will consider how a candidate fits in so sometimes, a good junior programmer joins because an existing programmer takes a more senior position (i.e. the one that was advertised for) and the team is whole again.

Another reason for the genericity is so that a candidate can't complain to a boss saying thats not in my job description because it is. :-)

I was a Physics major who went on to do programming and found that my tensor analysis and understanding the use of indices helped me transition into using array structures in novel ways. You may also get a chance to do some numerical computing as well where your understanding of Diff Eqns and other math will come in handy.

Have you played with MATLAB or Julia or numerical Python?

4. Aug 12, 2015 #3
    I've never tried Julia, but I use python and matlab all the time. I've been thinking about machine learning as a possible outlet after I finish my phd (if not a professor somewhere -- I've still got lots of time to decide). I spent some time learning about different neural networks and how to code them this summer

5. Aug 12, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Look into genetic algorithms too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook