Looking for a specific material

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a material with specific properties, including a melting point of 50 to 100C, low cost, non-flammable, non-toxic, and natural/recyclable. The speaker mentions considering wax, but is concerned about flammability. They also mention finding a list of materials with melting points, but it is too extensive to filter easily. The conversation ends with a suggestion to ask librarians for help in finding a suitable material.
corpetit
Hi everybody,

Not sure how to go about the question, so, will start by the narrowest scope... Basically, I am looking for a material with a melting point from 50 to 100C, cheap in volumes :), non-flammable, non-toxic and natural/recyclable. I was going for some kind of wax but flammability (?)

I did find a very extensive list of materials melting points but it is "too extensive" and without any other way to filter it, I would have to click one by one and check on their other properties till finding a match... I found a basic intro to this search problem http://ocw.uc3m.es/ciencia-e-oin/materials-science-and-engineering/lecture-notes-1/Chapter_1_1.pdfand then some material charts on melting points.

So, as a general question, is there some kind of database/chart/smarter way to do this search or is this how people goes about it short of asking a materials expert (I guess that is what I am doing :) )?

Sorry if this is a dumb question and thank you very much!
Ed

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Not sure if there's an easy way to search, but the first thing that comes to mind that may meet your specifications is agar.

I would ask librarians in any college or (better) university library. Quite possible it is an easy search in one of the professional databases they have access to (these are typically behind a paywall, which is why you won't be able to use them easily).

1. What is the best method for finding a specific material?

The best method for finding a specific material depends on the type of material you are looking for. Some common methods include conducting a literature search, consulting with experts in the field, and utilizing online databases and resources. It may also be helpful to contact suppliers or manufacturers directly.

2. How can I determine the properties of a specific material?

To determine the properties of a specific material, you can consult with published research or technical data sheets. You can also conduct experiments or tests on the material to gather your own data. Additionally, there are online databases and resources that provide information on the properties of various materials.

3. What are some factors to consider when searching for a specific material?

When searching for a specific material, it is important to consider factors such as the material's properties, availability, cost, and compatibility with other materials. You should also consider the intended use of the material and any safety or environmental concerns.

4. What resources are available for finding materials?

There are a variety of resources available for finding materials, including online databases, scientific literature, suppliers and manufacturers, and expert contacts. You can also attend conferences or trade shows related to your field of study to learn about new materials and technologies.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy and reliability of information about a specific material?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of information about a specific material, it is important to consult with multiple sources and compare information. It may also be beneficial to conduct your own experiments or tests to verify the data. Additionally, checking the credibility and reputation of the source can help ensure the reliability of the information.