Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for an adapter to connect two different plugs

1. Jan 31, 2017 #1
    I got a neighbor who has an outdoor Christmas decoration. It's 20 years old and the power supply went bad. So we bought a new one that was said to be compatible. The specs were the same, but the connections were different. I'm wondering if there is a way via an adapter/converter to attach or other means to make this all work.

Power supply specs
    newps.png

Old plug (decoration base has the corresponding female socket)
    old.png

New power supply plug that we need to convert
    new.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Sure that tiny thing can handle 5A? If you don't have to change current and voltage, there's always the old fashioned way.

4. Jan 31, 2017 #3
    Haven't a clue, but the power supply's specs are the same, the only different is the plug. I was hoping there was something simple I could buy.

5. Jan 31, 2017 #4

fresh_42

With a screw terminal (10 c), a knife (0 c), a screwdriver (0 c) and duct tape (1 $) you probably can't get cheaper and simpler. I wonder if that Chinese plug fits into anything else as his mother socket. My first thought was "no prob, in Europe we have to deal with adapters all the time". But then I saw your coaxial RCA and the first time with so much current. Even on amazon I couldn't find a quick solution.

6. Jan 31, 2017 #5

berkeman

So from the pictures, you still have the old power supply's male plug? You can buy the male mate to your new power suppliy's coaxial barrel plug, and solder it onto the wires from your old power supply cable (cut the cord, strip and solder). It looks like the old 2-prong plug does not have polarity, right? Or does it only plug into the fixture one way?

7. Jan 31, 2017 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Jan 31, 2017 #7
    Certainly looks like a match visually!

9. Jan 31, 2017 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could measure what you have and compare. Less than six bucks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted