Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for an analytic mapping theorem

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    Say we have a complex function f, analytic on some punctured open disk D\{a} where it has a pole at a. Is there some theorem which says something like: f must map D\{a} to a horizontal strip in ℂ of at least width 2π, or something like that?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There can be no such theorem. Think about what f(z)=1/z does in a punctured disc D\{0}: the image f(D\{0}) won't contain any strips.

What is true is that if f has a pole at a then you can find a sufficiently small open disc centered at a such that f(D\{a}) contains the complement of an arbitrarily large open disc. This essentially follows from studying the example f(z)=1/z above together with an application of the open mapping theorem.

4. Feb 3, 2012 #3
    ok, thanks morphism.

5. Feb 4, 2012 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think I might've misinterpreted your question. In my first reading I assumed you were looking for strips centered about the x-axis, but now I see that you didn't make any such requirement. Anyway, as you can see from my previous post, f(D\{a}) will always contain arbitrarily wide strips, if you allow them to be 'high up' the y-axis.

6. Feb 5, 2012 #5
    Ok that would work for me, although I cannot see how this follows from the open mapping theorem, could you explain further how such a result would be derived? Thanks.

7. Feb 11, 2012 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry for the late reply, been busy..

Anyway: consider g(z)=1/f(z) in D. Since f is holomorphic on D\{a} and has a pole at a, then g is holomorphic on all of D (i.e. the singularity at a is removable). Now apply the open mapping theorem to g.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook