1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for An Introduction to Radar Text

1. May 24, 2013 #1

Cod

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2013 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends upon what you want. I have spent years on radar, and think most books are not good at all; not that I could write a better one!

Stimson is mainly qualitative. It is written to give you the basic idea, and can be read by someone with at most freshman (college) math/physics background. I have only used it to help me figure out how to explain radar to non-technical types. But I know PhDs that love it. If you want the basic ideas of basic radar explained well and simply ,this is your book. It is NOT my book.

Principles of modern radar is a very good modern book on radar, but requires at least jr/sr level technical background (physics, EE, etc). "Radar principles" by peebles is probably the next best book, but is not as good. These are probably the two best overall books on radar in my opinion.

I am older, so my favorite is "radar principles" by levanon. I took a course out of it so I still look at it quite often, but it is too old to be considered modern (the "processing a coherent pulse train", MTI, and SAR chapters are particularly antiquated). It is thin, which is good, but of course it leaves a lot of stuff out. And the price (particularly the new price, but even the used) is not worth it.

I have finally looked at the radar systems book by Skolnik
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0070579091/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
    only recently. The 2nd edition is certainly worth the $4 US it will cost on amazon.

Enjoy!

jason

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. May 27, 2013 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Skolnik is by far the best....

5. May 27, 2013 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can learn a lot of radar at an intro level from Stimson.

I agree with Dr. T that the 3rd edition of Skolnik is the best textbook. Be aware that the 2nd ed. is 33 years old, so you won't get complete treatment of "modern" techniques (like digital signal processing--not that it's in any way new anymore...). I'd go for the new edition.

Although it's old (early 90's I think?), Radar Design Principles by Nathanson is also an excellent book (not a textbook, however).

6. May 31, 2013 #5

Cod

Thanks for the inputs. My knowledge is somewhat limited, so I will check out Sholnik's. I'll see if I can get a used copy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted