1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for deltaK, change in total kinetic energy

1. Mar 31, 2008 #1
    On a frictionless horizontal air table, puck A (with mass 0.253 kg) is moving toward puck B (with mass 0.373 kg), which is initially at rest. After the collision, puck A has velocity 0.124 m/s to the left, and puck B has velocity 0.650 m/s to the right.

Calculate DeltaK, the change in the total kinetic energy of the system that occurs during the collision.

- I got ΔK = .007 but was not right
    -puck A with speed 0.834 is 0.5*0.253*(0.834)2 . Total energy of the two pucks afterwards are 0.5*0.253*(0.124)2 +0.5*0.373*(0.650)2

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

What you did should be right, but your change should be negative though.

4. Mar 31, 2008 #3
    yea...-0.007 was my first answer which was wrong also.

edit...i think it is wrong because it is supposed to be in J.

5. Mar 31, 2008 #4
    That is in joules. Is this a web assignment? Perhaps you don't have enough significant figures.

6. Mar 31, 2008 #5
    yea i realized it is in joules after looking again. At first I put in -.007 yesterday and now I put in -0.007 and it says:
    "Not quite. Check through your calculations; you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures." which 4 sig figures is right. so im not sure and usually if I am around the answer it will round it for me.

7. Mar 31, 2008 #6
    Yeah, you didn't use enough significant figures. Your answer has one sig-fig when your given values have three.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?