Looking for grad schools in string theory/quantum gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in applying to graduate schools in the fields of observational or computational cosmology and extragalactic astronomy, as well as M-theory and quantum gravity. They express feeling overwhelmed by the number of schools to choose from and seek advice on where to apply with their GPA, test scores, and research experience. The expert suggests considering schools such as USC, UC Berkeley, UCSB, Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Rutgers, UPenn, UT-Austin, and UMich-Ann Arbor, and advises researching faculty and their areas of interest before applying. They also mention the importance of research accomplishments and letters of recommendation in the application process.
Wheelwalker
I'm beginning to apply to grad schools (primarily in observational or computational cosmology and extragalactic astronomy) but have a deep interest in M-theory and quantum gravity although I haven't been able to study it. I very much enjoy theory and think that I would find studying M-theory or quantum gravity in grad school very fulfilling. However, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the number of grad schools available to apply to and how to choose which ones I would have a reasonable chance at getting into.

I'm completing my undergraduate degree at a moderately sized state school (not known for research). I have a GPA of 3.87, 800 quant, 5 AW and 890 PGRE score (84th percentile). I have about a year of research under my belt including a full time summer of research. However, the research isn't directly related to quantum gravity.

I'm absolutely open to move just about anywhere. I think I'd love to live somewhere else while attending grad school, so location isn't much of an issue. Where can I apply and have a reasonable chance of getting in?

Physics news on Phys.org
String theory is an extremely competitive field. If this is what you really want to do, then you should apply to a lot of schools of all sorts of ranges.

Some great schools to consider in no particular order of ranking: USC, UC Berkeley, UCSB, Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Rutgers, UPenn, UT-Austin, UMich-Ann Arbor.

These are some of the schools that come to my mind, but I am sure there are more. Look at faculty web pages, read their papers, and maybe consider sending emails asking if your faculty of interest is taking new students or not (also indicate your interest in working with them). This might save you from applying to a place just for a string theory; no point in applying if no one is accepting new students in the field.

Your stats are very good, but admission to top 10 is never guaranteed. What will set you apart from the rest would be your research accomplishments and letter of recommendations!

My only advice is to keep your mind open! Good Luck!

1. What is string theory/quantum gravity?

String theory and quantum gravity are both theories that aim to explain the fundamental nature of the universe at a microscopic level. String theory proposes that particles are not point-like objects, but rather tiny, vibrating strings. Quantum gravity, on the other hand, seeks to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics to understand how gravity works on a quantum level.

2. What kind of education is necessary for studying string theory/quantum gravity?

To study string theory/quantum gravity, a strong background in mathematics and physics is necessary. Most students pursuing this field have completed a bachelor's degree in physics, mathematics, or a related field. Many graduate programs also require students to have taken specific courses in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and electrodynamics.

3. What are some top universities for studying string theory/quantum gravity?

Some top universities for studying string theory/quantum gravity include Princeton University, Harvard University, University of California-Berkeley, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). However, there are many other reputable universities with strong programs in this field.

4. What research opportunities are available for students studying string theory/quantum gravity?

Many universities with graduate programs in string theory/quantum gravity have research opportunities for students. These can include working with a professor on their research projects, participating in a research group, or conducting independent research for a thesis or dissertation. Some universities also offer summer research programs in this field.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of string theory/quantum gravity programs?

Graduates of string theory/quantum gravity programs can pursue careers in academia, research, or industry. They may also work in fields such as engineering, computer science, or finance. With a strong background in mathematics and physics, graduates may also have opportunities in data science, machine learning, and other emerging fields.