Looking for Grad Schools that do research in ClassMech

In summary, the speaker is a Physics undergraduate from the Philippines looking for schools to apply to for graduate studies in Planetary Dynamics. They are struggling to find suitable schools or research opportunities due to their mediocre GPA and limited financial resources. They are also worried about sharing their research topic and are unable to use connections for help. They are advised to search for programs in celestial mechanics and utilize resources like arxiv.org for potential research opportunities.
Vardonir
Strange topic, I know, but that really is my field. Planetary Dynamics, to be exact. I need to look for schools to apply to soon, since I'm (hopefully) graduating in March next year and want to get out of here as soon as possible. Sadly, all I find are either doing research in nonrelated fields, or are simply impossible.

I was told to read papers and see where they are affiliated but they are either a) not in a univeristy or b) 'no way in hell am i getting in there' or c) from 50 years ago.

Now, I'm looking for specific schools or people I can ask for research. I also have a topic in mind (an extension of my BS thesis, really) but I don't know if I can just share it with people without the fear of someone else working on it.

I'm a Physics undergrad from Philippines with mediocre GPA and not a lot of money for app fees. I can apply to five schools, at most. Even less if I HAVE to take the GRE Physics. Another option would be to take an MS literally anywhere and then go somewhere else that's good, but I don't know which ones will be, uh, desperate enough to accept someone like me. I know my current univeristy will fit that description, but I'd rather not come back there.

I can't use connections because my advisers are a) a total nobody who has never set foot outside the country and b) an old man whose colleagues are either dead or retired (he's the one who gave me the classmech resesrch topic).

help. D:

also, I apologize for the typos, if any.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

One tip: maybe google for "(analytic) celestial mechanics" instead of "planetary dynamics", quite a few (PhD) places pop up, usually in the math department (for example Saint-Petersburg in Russia, Santa Cruz in California, etc)

Good luck!

Maybe http://arxiv.org/ will be helpful. See if you can find papers that look to be in your area.

1. What is ClassMech?

ClassMech, short for classical mechanics, is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and systems under the influence of forces. It includes topics such as kinematics, dynamics, and energy conservation.

2. Why would I want to pursue research in ClassMech?

Pursuing research in ClassMech can lead to a deeper understanding of fundamental physical laws and their applications in real-world situations. This field is also constantly evolving, providing opportunities for discovering new phenomena and developing innovative technologies.

3. How can I find graduate schools that offer research opportunities in ClassMech?

You can start by researching universities that have strong physics departments and faculty members who specialize in ClassMech. You can also attend physics conferences and network with experts in the field to learn about potential research opportunities.

4. What qualifications do I need to apply for graduate programs in ClassMech research?

Generally, graduate programs in ClassMech research require a bachelor's degree in a related field such as physics or engineering. You may also need to have a strong background in mathematics and physics courses such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

5. What can I expect from a graduate program in ClassMech research?

In a graduate program in ClassMech research, you can expect to take advanced courses in classical mechanics, conduct independent research under the guidance of a faculty mentor, and potentially publish your findings in academic journals. You may also have the opportunity to present your research at conferences and collaborate with other researchers in the field.