Looking for help with antideratives

• Thread starter fk378
  • Start date
In summary, you find the function f such that f'(x)=x^3 and the line x+y=0 is tangent to the graph of f. You also find the value of C such that the slope of f(x) is -1 at x=-1.
fk378

Homework Statement

Find a function f such that f'(x)=x^3 and the line x+y=0 is tangent to the graph of f.

Homework Equations

antiderative

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x)=(x^4)/4 + C

I don't know where to go from here... the tangent line equation is a way to find the slope, no? So rearranging x+y=0 gives y=x which means that the slope is 1...but wait, doesn't y=x mean that the tangent is a straight line, so therefore the derivative is 0? As you can tell, I'm very confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
think more about y=x being a straight line, compare this to something such as y=5, still think its straight? you also have a sign error when rearranging the tangent line equation.

Oh I see...thanks =)
so y=-x
therefore slope= -1
I have the equation of the function. Now is the next step just to see what C must equal in order for the slope to be -1?

You have two functions, the straight line f(x)=-x and the curve g(x)=x^4/4+C. At some value of x (let's call it x=a), the line is tangent to the curve.

What does this tell you about the values of f(a) and g(a)?

What does it tell you about the values of f'(a) and g'(a)?

Avodyne said:
You have two functions, the straight line f(x)=-x and the curve g(x)=x^4/4+C. At some value of x (let's call it x=a), the line is tangent to the curve.

What does this tell you about the values of f(a) and g(a)?

What does it tell you about the values of f'(a) and g'(a)?

The value a in f(a) can be substituted into g(a) and the value of a in f'(a) can be substituted into g'(a)??

Ok, you've got the slope is -1. Where is f'(x)=(-1)?

x^3=-1
so x=-1

Good. Now at the tangent point (x=-1) y=f(x) has to touch the curve y=-x. Can you determine C in your antiderivative?

f(x)=(x^4)/4 + C
f(-1)=1/4 + C
So since y=-x touches (x^4)/4 + C...and x=-1, then y=1
1=(1/4) + C
C=3/4

So f(x)=(x^4)/4 + 3/4 ?

You don't have to ask me if it's right. (It is). If it's slope is -1 and it's value is 1 at x=-1, then you surely are correct. Check it again.

Hold on, I'm kind of confused as to why I plug in x=-1 in the antiderivative. I found x=-1 in the derivative form, so why am I plugging it into the antiderivative? What am I looking for there?

The antiderivative is your function y=f(x). The derivative f'(x) is the slope of your function. At the tangent point to a line f(x) should equal the value of the line and f'(x) should equal the slope of the line.

Essentially the solution is composed of knowing two things about tangents to curves.

1) The tangent line and the curve share a single common point.
2) The slope of the tangent line and the curve are equivalent at that point.

So after obtaining the antiderivative with some constant C, you seek to determine what value of C you need. Well, you can solve for what value of x the slopes are the same at, and you know what the tangent line equation is, so you can solve y. Looking at (1) and (2) then, we've found the point at which (2) is true for the line and the curve.

Now all that remained for you to do was plug in that y and x value into the antiderivative, since the antiderivative and the tangent line have to share this common point (see (1)). You then found your value of C, and thus found the curve that fulfilled the above two conditions, and thus solved the problem.

What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is a function whose derivative is equal to the original function.

Why do we need to find antiderivatives?

Finding antiderivatives allows us to solve problems involving rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration, and to find the total change over a given interval.

How do you find antiderivatives?

To find an antiderivative, we use the reverse rules of differentiation. For example, the antiderivative of 2x would be x^2 + C, where C is a constant.

What is the constant of integration in antiderivatives?

The constant of integration, denoted as C, is a constant term that is added when finding the antiderivative of a function. It accounts for all possible solutions to the antiderivative.

Can you provide an example of finding an antiderivative?

Sure, let's find the antiderivative of 3x^2. We use the power rule, which states that the antiderivative of x^n is (x^(n+1))/(n+1). So the antiderivative of 3x^2 would be (3x^3)/3, which simplifies to x^3 + C.