Looking for ideas for a physics related application

In summary, the conversation revolves around a computer science student's desire to improve their programming skills by programming an application. They express interest in physics and are looking for project ideas. Suggestions include a Moon Lander type program, a program involving computing, and the Percolation project from Princeton. The student is open to any topic, particularly quantum physics and astrophysics.
LizR
Hi! I am a computer science student and I want to program an application to improve my programming skills.
I am interested in physics and have taken 3 physics courses at University, and would like to look deeper into a specific area during this project. It can be an extensive project, as I have a one month break now and not many courses in my next semester.

I haven't come up with an idea and would be happy if anybody has some inspiration, or even a specific project they would like to be realized but haven't had the chance to do it yet!
I am interested in quantum physics and astrophysics, but open to any topic.
Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Do you want to include a GUI interface and maybe some computer graphics? Maybe a Moon Lander type program?

Likes LizR
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Do you want to include a GUI interface and maybe some computer graphics? Maybe a Moon Lander type program?
Hi, thanks! :)
Do you mean this Moon Lander? http://moonlander.seb.ly

I think I'm more interested in something involving computing rather than a visual simulation, but I don't know much about what kind of physics related programs there are.. Maybe its mostly simulation?

What math classes have you completed so far? Have you completed the first or second Differential Equations class? Have you learned anything about writing numerical simulation programs yet? Things like Numerical Methods and related subjects?

Have you taken a class in compilers yet? How about data structures? I found my compiler class in undergrad very interesting and challenging (we even wrote a small compiler -- what an eye-opener!).

Likes LizR
We solved first order differential equations in our Analysis class, and I took a Numeric Algorithms class, in that we wrote a program that displays the Mandelbrot set. I've not taken a class on compilers, our school doesn't offer classes that go very deep into informatics because its a mixed course (its computer science + environmental studies)
berkeman said:
What math classes have you completed so far? Have you completed the first or second Differential Equations class? Have you learned anything about writing numerical simulation programs yet? Things like Numerical Methods and related subjects?

Have you taken a class in compilers yet? How about data structures? I found my compiler class in undergrad very interesting and challenging (we even wrote a small compiler -- what an eye-opener!).

LizR said:
we wrote a program that displays the Mandelbrot set.
Wow. That would be fun to have on my phone. Modern phones have great screens able to show many colors.

Likes LizR
anorlunda said:
Wow. That would be fun to have on my phone. Modern phones have great screens able to show many colors.
When I am home later I'll see if i still have it on my computer! But it doesn't run on the phone tho, its an .exe file

LizR said:
When I am home later I'll see if i still have it on my computer! But it doesn't run on the phone tho, its an .exe file

But you know how to write a new one. It would also need a GUI for controlling it on the phone. You could learn a lot by making that app.

Likes LizR and berkeman
anorlunda said:
But you know how to write a new one. It would also need a GUI for controlling it on the phone. You could learn a lot by making that app.
Thats a cool idea actually I think ill do that! I've always wanted to learn how to write an app!

Likes berkeman and anorlunda
LizR said:
Hi! I am a computer science student and I want to program an application to improve my programming skills.
I am interested in physics and have taken 3 physics courses at University, and would like to look deeper into a specific area during this project. It can be an extensive project, as I have a one month break now and not many courses in my next semester.

I haven't come up with an idea and would be happy if anybody has some inspiration, or even a specific project they would like to be realized but haven't had the chance to do it yet!
I am interested in quantum physics and astrophysics, but open to any topic.
Thanks!

I think that you may find this percolation project from Princeton interesting - the link is from Coursera, unless you have already done it :). I have done it start-to-finish in the past. The project is about writing a program in Java to estimate the value of the percolation threshold via Monte Carlo simulation.

Last edited:
Likes LizR
QuantumQuest said:
I think that you may find this percolation project from Princeton interesting - the link is from Coursera, unless you have already done it :). I have done it start-to-finish in the past. The project is about writing a program in Java to estimate the value of the percolation threshold via Monte Carlo simulation.
That looks really interesting, thanks!

Likes berkeman and QuantumQuest

1. What is a physics related application?

A physics related application is a software program or mobile application that utilizes principles and concepts from physics to perform a specific task or provide a useful service. This can range from simulations and modeling tools to educational games and calculators.

2. How can I come up with ideas for a physics related application?

One way to generate ideas for a physics related application is to think about common problems or challenges that people face, and then consider how physics principles can be applied to solve them. Another approach is to look at current trends and technologies in the field of physics and brainstorm ways to incorporate them into an application.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in physics to develop a physics related application?

While having a strong foundation in physics can certainly be helpful, it is not necessarily a requirement for developing a physics related application. Many successful applications have been created by individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of the physics principles that will be utilized in the application.

4. Are there any resources available to help with developing a physics related application?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with developing a physics related application. These can include online tutorials, forums, and communities where developers can ask questions and share ideas. There are also books and courses specifically focused on developing physics related applications.

5. How can I make sure my physics related application is accurate and reliable?

To ensure accuracy and reliability in your physics related application, it is important to thoroughly research and test the physics principles and equations that you are using. It can also be helpful to consult with other experts in the field of physics to get feedback and suggestions for improvement. Additionally, regularly updating and maintaining the application can help to catch any errors or inaccuracies that may arise.