1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing topic for physics/comp sci project, looking for ideas.

1. Oct 12, 2013 #1
    I am a second year Physics student at UBC, and we are programming in Matlab for the second half of one of my courses (the first half was on Unix/Maple/Python). I am looking for some advice on a good end of year project. Basically, we have to model some sort of physical system on matlab.
    A lot of people do N-body problems, modelling how particles interact gravitationally/electromagnetically.
    Some excerpts fromt the course website:
    "each student must choose a topic for a term project in some area of computational physics or closely related field, prepare and present a proposal to the class, carry out the project and produce a write-up of it in the basic style of a scientific/technical paper."

"In keeping with the spirit of the course, all term projects should involve programming to a significant extent, and students are encouraged to use MATLAB, or possibly Maple, to implement their projects: assuming that you do so, you are expected to do more than use some built in MATLAB/Maple facility to perform the bulk of your computations."

Does anyone have any ideas on interesting topics to pursue? I am interested in ice hockey, so modelling something related to shooting a puck could be interesting, but it has to have well defined math behind it.

For reference, I have taken Calculus 1 and 2, and am currently taking multivariable calculus. I have basic knowledge of differential equations, but nothing too in depth.

Other than this course, my only experience in any program is a first year program design course, so I am still a beginner. I haven't done much in Matlab but we have more than a month for this project and I am willing to learn.

Here are a list of the standard topics: http://laplace.physics.ubc.ca/210/Term.html

I'd like to do something interesting, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try ray tracing through an optical system; or for something not on the list, ray trace an unpolarized beam through a birefringent crystal ... calcite would do, but perhaps make it general where the axes and coefficients are input.

4. Oct 12, 2013 #3
    Thanks! I haven't done any optics yet though. First year was a lot of E&M, lots of dynamics, angular momentum... First term this year is Special Relativity.

5. Oct 14, 2013 #4
    Any more ideas? Thanks!

6. Oct 14, 2013 #5

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I looked at your list; a good traffic simulation would be interesting, and you might learn something from it. I would allow some different driver responses (tail-gaters, follow at recommended distance, travel with the traffic, etc) and then allow a random selection of drivers with specified probabilities for getting each type - and see what happens when you have all one type, or various splits.

There are two different scenarios: highway driving with traffic entering, leaving, and changing lanes, and local driving with traffic stops and cross streets with traffic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted