Looking for more information on magnetism.

In summary, the speaker is asking for recommendations on a website to learn more about magnetism. They express their interest in the topic and frustration with finding bits and pieces of information online. Another person suggests using Google Books advanced search to find relevant and free resources.
ThomasG
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone know of a website where I can learn more about magnetism? Nothing in particular, I just wanted to know as much as I can on the topic. I have a huge interest in this topic and hate spending so much time looking online only to find bits and pieces. Please don't say You Tube. Thank You for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello ThomasG! :smile:

There's plenty of free books available online.

Try a google book-search for "magnetism" …

Click "More" (top right on the google menu bar), then click "Books" on the drop-down menu.

That gives you all books, but go to the bottom of the page and click "Advanced Search" …

then click either the "Limited preview and full view" or "Full view only" button, and click "Google Search". :wink:

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a phenomenon that describes the force of attraction or repulsion between certain materials, such as iron or steel, and a magnet. It is also the property of certain materials to align themselves with an external magnetic field.

2. How does magnetism work?

Magnetism is caused by the movement of electrons within atoms. When electrons move in the same direction, it creates a magnetic field. In materials like iron, the electrons are lined up and create a strong magnetic field, making them attracted to magnets.

3. What are the different types of magnets?

There are three main types of magnets: permanent, temporary, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets, like those found in refrigerator magnets, produce their own magnetic field. Temporary magnets, like iron, can be magnetized but lose their magnetism quickly. Electromagnets are created by passing an electric current through a wire and can be turned on and off.

4. What are some real-life applications of magnetism?

Magnetism has many practical applications, such as in generators, motors, speakers, and hard drives. It is also used in medical imaging, like MRI machines, and in compasses for navigation. Magnetism is also used in particle accelerators and in scientific research.

5. How does temperature affect magnetism?

Temperature can affect the strength of magnetism. As temperature increases, the movement of atoms and electrons increases, causing the alignment of magnetic fields to weaken. This can cause a magnet to lose its magnetism or become weaker at higher temperatures. However, some materials, like iron, can become more magnetic at high temperatures.