1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for online summer study buddies!

1. Jun 14, 2013 #1
    Just checking if anyone wanted to get an online study group going over the summer! I'm flexible as to what to study, but I am definitely going to work through both books of Kiselev's geometry (I've just started and am on chapter 2). If I finish those, then I may want to move on to Moise, Hartshorne, Pedoe, Coxeter, or something similar. Other books/topics I'd like to work on:

Spivak's calculus (I have a good chunk done already)
    Analysis text (Rudin, Apostol, Carothers, ...)
    A good linear algebra book (preferably projective/geometric oriented, but whatever... second course level - but not Axler as I've worked through most of it)
    Set Theory (Hrbacek & Jech, Kaplansky, etc.)
    Number Theory (intro level)
    Contest prep books might be fun...

My brain is open! Make some suggestions. Anyone up for being a study group mentor (micromass :-D )????

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Micromass is mine sorry.

4. Jun 14, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If people are interested, then I'd be up for it :tongue:

5. Jun 14, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I SEE HOW IT IS :cry:

Are you willing to do physics :p? I was thinking about working through Padmanabhan's general relativity text. I can never find anyone willing to do work through GR textbooks together >.>

6. Jun 14, 2013 #5
  7. Jun 14, 2013 #6
    I would study physics, but I have never even taken an introductory course (i.e. I have no physics knowledge outside of calculus and a little bit I learned when we covered differential forms in an honors vector calc class that did some diff geometry). So I would be totally lost studying any physics at your level :-p

8. Jun 15, 2013 #7
    I made a blog on blogger and got MathJax working on it so we can easily post up organized discussions and what not using LaTeX. I can add anyone interested as an author on the blog! Micromass pointed out a chat service that allows use of LaTeX as well. Since the blog is via blogger, we can use google+ for video chatting and what not (I think up to 8 or 10 people at a time) and easily share documents via google drive.

If money is an issue (with respect to books), just let me know. We can definitely find some free or very cheap books to use.

9. Jun 15, 2013 #8
    I'm currently working through Hrbacek and Jech's Introduction to Set Theory right now. If that were one of the topics that is covered in the blog, I might be interested.

10. Jun 15, 2013 #9
    How far along are you? I'm definitely interested in working through that book. The blog is meant to be a community blog where we can post our questions and have discussions among our study group.

11. Jun 15, 2013 #10
    Not far at all. I'm about to start the exercises for section 3 of Chapter 1.

12. Jun 15, 2013 #11
    Sweet! I'm down if you want to study through it together!

13. Jun 15, 2013 #12
    Alright, great! You can PM me the blog or post here, whichever you prefer.

14. Jun 15, 2013 #13
    Awesome! For you, and anyone else who is maybe interested, here is the blog:
    pfmathcircle.blogspot.com
    Anyone who wants to join in (beyond leaving comments) has to PM or email me their email address. So looks like we'll be working through Hrbacek and Jech's "Introduction to Set Theory." I'll also be working through Kiselev's geometry books, so anyone interested in that should inquire as well!

15. Aug 1, 2013 #14
    dustbin, what are you currently studying? I know the summer's almost over, but I hope this can continue on.

16. Aug 1, 2013 #15
    I have been doing more problems out of Spivak, studying set theory, geometry, and linear algebra. I'd be more than happy to get this going again! What are you looking to do? My summer lasts until the end of September, btw. I stopped posting on the blog since interest seemed lost... but I'm still studying :-)

17. Aug 1, 2013 #16
    Any analysis or linear algebra book you want to work on?

18. Aug 1, 2013 #17
    I've been reviewing linear algebra from Apostol's Calculus (Vol2), going over stuff we skipped in my previous course. I'm not sure what level you are thinking for linear algebra. If you are looking for a second course, then Hoffman & Kunze or Halmos seems the likely suggestion. I would really like to read Sharipov's linear algebra book, but there are no exercises. Maybe Sharipov with Halmos' Linear Algebra Problem Book? I don't know how well these would complement each other...

For analysis, my suggestions would be Apostol or baby Rudin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook