Looking for Pneumatic control valve information

In summary, the valve you are looking for is a three position, double solenoid, spring return valve. The valve needs to have a centre float so both cylinder ports can be connected to the exhaust vent.
Cburg
TL;DR Summary
Need a pneumatic control valve with 1/4inch ports that will operate a double acting cylinder but will also release the cylinder when all current is removed.
I am looking to find out if there is a control valve type that will move a duel port cylinder in both directions but then the current to the valve is turned off the cylinder will NOT be locked up. I thought a 5/2 double coil valve would do this but it holds cylinder when current is removed form both coils,
I am looking to open and/or close a door with the cylinder but also let a person over ride the cylinder when the control is not being used.

Thank You in advance for your help...

Cburg

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like you need a three position, double solenoid, spring return valve. This diagram shows the terminology (but has the wrong valve porting):
Valve.jpg

You need to find a valve that:
1) When Solenoid A is energized, the cylinder is pushed one way,
and
2) When Solenoid B is energized, the cylinder is pushed the other way,
and
3) When neither solenoid is energized, the valve spool is spring loaded to the center position, where the cylinder ports are connected to each other.

Your next step is to get some pneumatic valve catalogs and start searching. This might take a while, but if you are persistent, you should find a valve.

• Informative
Likes Joe591, berkeman and Lnewqban
If the central position needs to be floating, then both sides of the cylinder need to be connected to the tank in that position. That is because the rod has a finite volume, so the total volume of the cylinder changes as the piston moves.
It gets more complicated if, when the power is on, you want the cylinder to be held in the last adjusted position. There is then a safety consideration, will a supported load fall whenever there is a power cut.

Likes Lnewqban
So a pneumatic solenoid valve like this:
Valve.jpg

Valve is spring loaded to center, S is supply, and V is vent.

Don't worry about the valve port size. You can find fittings to adapt any valve port to any tube, hose, or pipe.

Thanks for all your input, Sorry for my delay in getting back to you ...
Looking at the post form Jrmichler I was thinking alone the same lines.
1642796923473.png

however: When I tried that valve is would stop the rod anywhere along the full travel BUT when power is removed the rod is held in place and will not run free.

I think the valve would need to more like this:
1642796822743.png

I am thinking that when the valve has no power and is in the center position either both cylinder ports need to be joined together or both need to be connect to the exhaust.
The question is now, do they make this type of valve or do I need to look at using a second valve vent or maybe just shut the air of the supply.

Your Thoughts ...

Thanks
Cburg

Cburg said:
I am thinking that when the valve has no power and is in the center position either both cylinder ports need to be joined together or both need to be connect to the exhaust.
In the central position, the two cylinder ports should be connected to the exhaust vent, while the supply is blocked.

3Pos-4port-DCV.jpg

I agree. But is there such a valve? It appears there is a naming code that is used to ID valves but I have no clue what the code is. For example: the valve I have that is like this one ...
1642811103759.png
Is Called a ... " Pneumatic Solenoid Air Valve 4V230C-08 DC 12V 5 Way 3"

Thanks
Cburg

Some symbol and ordering codes are here;
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0068/3235/7429/files/4v400-TrimantecNEW.pdf
You will need the float centre valve position "exhaust" = 30E.
Or look for a smaller port series that would work in your application and will cost less.
These may have port data and centre code in the listing.
1/8” port 4V230E-06
1/4” port 4V230E-08 Search eBay for this US $25.
3/8” port 4V330E-10
1/2” port 4V430E-15
Remember to select a solenoid voltage and verify the "exhaust" float centre.

Thank ... Looks like l have some homework...
I will report back...

1. What is a pneumatic control valve?

A pneumatic control valve is a type of valve that uses compressed air to control the flow of a fluid or gas. It is commonly used in industrial and manufacturing processes to regulate the movement of materials.

2. How does a pneumatic control valve work?

A pneumatic control valve works by using compressed air to actuate a diaphragm, which in turn controls the opening and closing of the valve. The amount of air pressure applied determines the position of the valve, allowing for precise control of the flow.

3. What are the advantages of using a pneumatic control valve?

One of the main advantages of using a pneumatic control valve is its simplicity and reliability. It is also able to operate in a wide range of temperatures and pressures, making it suitable for various applications. Additionally, pneumatic control valves are less expensive compared to other types of control valves.

4. What are some common applications of pneumatic control valves?

Pneumatic control valves are commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, water treatment, and food and beverage. They are also used in HVAC systems, power generation, and transportation equipment.

5. How do I choose the right pneumatic control valve for my application?

Choosing the right pneumatic control valve depends on several factors, including the type of fluid or gas being controlled, the required flow rate, and the operating conditions. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable supplier or engineer to ensure the valve meets the specific needs of your application.