Looking for some cool magnets / gadgets

In summary, this person is looking for desk accessories that will make their work more fun. They mention the Newtons cradle, gyroscope, and mini hadron collider.
uperkurk
Hello all :) I'm look for some cool things to look at or buy, I'm after mainly desk accessories such as swinging pendulums or something magnetic. I have seen some videos a while ago about a kind of magnet gadget which you could place a copper penny inside and it will just float in between the two magnets. Kinda like this:--
O
--

Sorry that's the best I could do :P and then you could spin the penny and it would spin for ages and ages on it's only little axis. I forgot what it was I searched for when I found this but can anyone tell me of some cool desk type things like swinging pendulums or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look no farther!

Last edited by a moderator:
genericusrnme said:
Look no farther!
http://www.youtube.com/rOOYt5FVS24

That link didn't work for me.

lisab said:
That link didn't work for me.

Fix'd, I forgot the watch?v= part

uperkurk said:
Oh it's called Newtons cradle :) I came across these things too which are simply awesome!

= similar to the device I was describing

Oh boy, I used to have a pen that you could do that with!
It was pretty badass

I found loads of cool things including levetating globe which is amazing btw! and I found things like hurricane balls, euler's disc and some other neat things :)

What would be cool is if I can find a little device that has a magnetic on it which is stuck to a little wooden base, the base vibrates using electric from your socket and you can attach things obove the vibrating magnetic which would make the object dance around kind of thing

Check out thinkgeek.

I ended up buying the gyroscope just because it looks cool to play with, was going to buy the magnetic floating globe but was too expensive.

a mini hadron collider would also be amazing! A circular disc that has some power magnetics in it that are angled slightly forwards... put a metal ball baring inside and as it passes past each magnet it picks up a bit more speed, constantly building up speed until you press a button which somehow stops the ball.

Sounds awesome I wish I could make one but I wouldn't really know how..

1. What types of magnets are considered "cool"?

There are many types of magnets that can be considered "cool" depending on your interests and needs. Some popular options include neodymium magnets, also known as rare earth magnets, which are incredibly strong and can be used for various projects and experiments. Other cool magnets include ferrofluid magnets, which are liquid magnets that can create mesmerizing patterns, and levitating magnets, which use magnetic forces to float objects in mid-air.

2. Can you recommend any cool gadgets that use magnets?

Yes, there are many cool gadgets that use magnets. Some popular options include magnetic levitation speakers, which use magnets to make the speaker float and produce sound, magnetic phone mounts for cars, and magnetic levitation globes, which use magnets to make a globe float and spin in mid-air.

3. Where can I find cool magnets and gadgets?

You can find cool magnets and gadgets at various online retailers, including Amazon, ThinkGeek, and Uncommon Goods. You can also find them at specialty science stores or toy stores. It's always a good idea to shop around and compare prices to find the best deal.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using magnets?

Yes, there are some safety precautions you should take when using magnets. Strong magnets can be dangerous if they are mishandled or swallowed. Keep them away from small children and pets, and be careful when handling them to avoid pinching your fingers. Additionally, keep magnets away from electronic devices, credit cards, and pacemakers as they can interfere with their function.

5. How can I incorporate magnets into my science experiments?

There are many ways to incorporate magnets into your science experiments. You can use them to demonstrate magnetic force, polarity, and attraction/repulsion. You can also use them to build simple motors or generators, create magnetic fields, and even make your own compass. The possibilities are endless, so get creative and have fun experimenting with magnets!