Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for some cool magnets / gadgets

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    Hello all :) I'm look for some cool things to look at or buy, I'm after mainly desk accessories such as swinging pendulums or something magnetic. I have seen some videos a while ago about a kind of magnet gadget which you could place a copper penny inside and it will just float in between the two magnets. Kinda like this:

--
    O
    --

Sorry that's the best I could do :P and then you could spin the penny and it would spin for ages and ages on it's only little axis. I forgot what it was I searched for when I found this but can anyone tell me of some cool desk type things like swinging pendulums or something?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2
    Look no farther!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. May 8, 2012 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That link didn't work for me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. May 8, 2012 #4
    Fix'd, I forgot the watch?v= part

6. May 8, 2012 #5
    Oh it's called newtons cradle :) I came across these things too which are simply awesome!

= similar to the device I was describing

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cquvA_IpEsA&feature=related = gyroscope! What an amazing desk toy :D

7. May 8, 2012 #6
    Oh boy, I used to have a pen that you could do that with!
    It was pretty badass

8. May 9, 2012 #7
  9. May 9, 2012 #8
    I found loads of cool things including levetating globe which is amazing btw! and I found things like hurricane balls, euler's disc and some other neat things :)

What would be cool is if I can find a little device that has a magnetic on it which is stuck to a little wooden base, the base vibrates using electric from your socket and you can attach things obove the vibrating magnetic which would make the object dance around kind of thing

10. May 9, 2012 #9
    Check out thinkgeek.

11. May 9, 2012 #10
    I ended up buying the gyroscope just because it looks cool to play with, was going to buy the magnetic floating globe but was too expensive.

a mini hadron collider would also be amazing! A circular disc that has some power magnetics in it that are angled slightly forwards.... put a metal ball baring inside and as it passes past each magnet it picks up a bit more speed, constantly building up speed until you press a button which somehow stops the ball.

Sounds awesome I wish I could make one but I wouldn't really know how..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook