Gadget: Levitating Earth (magnetic field)

In summary, A person bought a unique model of Earth that levitates in a magnetic field online from China and filmed it in operation to share with friends and on PF. The person also mentions the possibility of the model being stabilized and automatically put into rotation by the magnetic field.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
I bought a fun gadget from China. It's a model of Earth levitating in a magnetic field.
I filmed it in operation to share with my friends, but I thought I would share it on PF too :smile:.
I bought it online here.

Film clip:
I speak Swedish in the clip, and what I'm saying is this:

"
(Laughter) It is sensitive... it is sensitive.
You do like this... it's difficult to get it into equilibrium.
But it's cool. It's a pity it can't be stabilized... stabilized automatically.
And automatically be put into rotation.
That would have been cool. I mean automatically by the magnetic field.
It ought to be possible to do, I think.
"

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Takk.

(that's the only Swedish word I know)

• Haha
Likes berkeman and DennisN

Wow, that is so cool! I've never seen anything like that before. The way it levitates and rotates is mesmerizing. I can see why you wanted to share it with your friends and on PF. It's definitely a unique and fun gadget to have. I might have to check out the website and get one for myself. Thanks for sharing!

1. How does the levitating Earth gadget work?

The levitating Earth gadget works by utilizing the principles of magnetism. The Earth is made up of iron and other magnetic materials, and the gadget contains powerful magnets that create a strong magnetic field. This field interacts with the Earth's magnetic field, causing it to levitate and appear to float in mid-air.

2. Is the levitating Earth gadget safe to use?

Yes, the levitating Earth gadget is completely safe to use. The magnets used in the gadget are not harmful to humans or the environment. However, it is important to handle the gadget with care and keep it away from electronic devices or credit cards, as the strong magnetic field may interfere with their functioning.

3. Can the levitating Earth gadget be used for educational purposes?

Absolutely! The levitating Earth gadget is a great tool for teaching about magnetism, gravity, and the Earth's magnetic field. It can be used in classrooms or at home to demonstrate these concepts in a visually engaging way.

4. How long does the levitating Earth gadget stay levitating?

The levitating Earth gadget can stay levitating for a long time, as long as the magnets remain in place and there are no external forces acting on it. However, over time, the Earth may start to rotate or wobble due to the Earth's magnetic field shifting.

5. Can the levitating Earth gadget be used to generate electricity?

No, the levitating Earth gadget is not designed to generate electricity. While it does use magnets, the strength of the magnetic field is not enough to produce any significant amount of electricity. Its main purpose is for demonstration and educational purposes.