Looking for some physics guidence please

• Thread starter RickBman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is an aerospace engineer with a strong interest in physics and astrology. They are looking for resources to improve their understanding of basic concepts in quantum mechanics. Recommendations include Wikipedia and the book "Modern Physics" by Paul A Tipler and Ralph Llewellyn, with a note that astrology is not a part of physics.
RickBman
Looking for some physics guidence please...

Hello guys. Basically I am not studying or in any form of education I am actually a aerospace engineer so don't really have much to do with this field unlike you guys apart from a big interest. I love astrology, and the physics involved etc and often read about the standard model and how things work at the quantum level and find it amazing. However as I left school 10 years ago now my very basic understanding of atomic structures, energy states, etc is a little crap to say the least which leaves me really struggling when reading about more in depth concepts. Is there any books or websites out there that will take me back to basics and get me working in the rite direction please guys.

cheers Rick

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend my Modern Physics book "Modern Physics" by Paul A Tipler and Ralph Llewellyn. My class recommended the sixth edition, but I used the fifth edition and had no problems. It is quite easy to read and follow along with although the special relativity portion wasn't that clear to me at first. The other stuff was really good and if you can get a hold of the solutions manual you should do well reading the book and working through the problems.

BTW, astrology is not physics!

marcusl said:
BTW, astrology is not physics!

Agreed. Perhaps he meant astronomy? I hope he meant astronomy.

1. What is the best way to approach learning physics?

The best way to approach learning physics is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. Make sure to understand fundamental concepts and principles before moving on to more complex topics. It also helps to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

2. How can I improve my understanding of mathematical concepts in physics?

One way to improve your understanding of mathematical concepts in physics is to practice solving problems and equations. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or studying with a group of peers can also be beneficial.

3. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the idea that it is only for the very intelligent or that it is only applicable to theoretical concepts. In reality, physics is a subject that anyone can learn and has many practical applications in everyday life.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying physics?

Staying motivated while studying physics can be challenging, but it helps to set small, achievable goals and celebrate your progress. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group to stay motivated and accountable.

5. What are some resources for additional physics guidance?

There are many resources available for additional physics guidance, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, and educational websites. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, or join a physics study group for additional support.